Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

Post subject: Re: LCD Glass screens
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:22 pm 

Good correction on current prices. Thanks. Interesting. It appears that though both the consumption and production of Indium keeps going up, annual average price appears to keep going down over the past 10 year history since these particular LCD glass screens where manufactured in 2009-10.

Here is another consideration: Recovery of Liquid-Crystal, which appears to be quite valuable. If I'm understanding this correctly it appears the price of Liquid-Crystal is at about $50 per gram. It would seem that this could be rather easily recovered in the mill process then purified. I would like to know about how much liquid-crystal is in each 46" LCD glass screen. I would guess each might contain at least 1 gram of Liquid-Crystal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:55 am 
Site Admin

Here’s what I know, and I understand almost none of this, mind you:
Liquid crystals are not a thing. Not a specific item. They’re a foundational state of existence. Many, (or some say all, theoretically) elementals, and compound elemental alloys, can be liquid crystal. There’s a whole list of viri that are LC.
So you could have a liquid crystal virus or a liquid crystal piece of tin or steel. What makes up the crystals (e.n.) could be theoretically anything but a small list of a few dozen elements are used for making modern displays. Keep in mind though they didn’t understand the why or how, liquid crystal experiments date back into antiquity and display research dates into the late 1880s/1890s.

I’m simply reiterating there’s much more to this than simply crushing some screens and melting them.
You definitely have the quantity needed, and the motivation. Just do a LOT of careful research. But there’s not much more I can say that would be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:05 pm 

I'm still having no luck finding a buyer for my LCD Glass.
I have inquired with dozens of other potential buyers, still no luck with finding a buyer. Please feel free to let me know if you or of anyone you know of may be interested in buying these. If interested, about how much do you all pay per pound?

I currently have the following quantities available for sale:

LCD Glass Screens from Display Monitors? 
200-250 pounds. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Try the iRecycle app.
It covers free, paid, and buyer, companies in your area. For many many many materials

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 am 

If you want to give me a call I might know a place that will buy the screens for $1.00 ea. 814-443-6389

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:47 am 

I too save all my LCD, LED screens and always wondered if there was someone some company willing or offered to refine this material.

Bump the subject please, any ref?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:46 am 
Site Admin

Look above your post. There’s a helpful personal number.
Poor gorven, bet all of boardsort forum users are gonna be calling! Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:53 am 

Sweet, haha. You know it.

Thanks, lost

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm 

So, I too am a sucker for exotic metals with prices per lb in the triple digits, indium is just one of those things that thinking about gets my [EDIT]nuggets[/EDIT] all tingly, but

I recently had a fairly negative encounter with some lcd glass, that's making me seriously reconsider handling it AT ALL let alone trying to "process" it

While disposing of some lcd glass I had what is probably a worst case exposure ( received minor puncture wound from a heavily crunchified unit, likely depositing some particulate and or liquid)

Thought it was just another scrappers scratch, but within 30 minutes I became really sick feeling, excruciating migraine, stomach cramps, and altered visual perception, ( like roll focusing)

I've experienced heavy metal poisoning before and this was way worse and scarier

What's really bothering me is of course everyone assumes there's something toxic in lcd, like of course there is, but I for one assumed it was like handling lead, with cumulative implications and not an acute debilitating, rapid onset poisoning. Furthermore you never hear anything about the dangers of them unlike batteries crts or freon, and after this event I could find virtually zero helpful information about what compound could have been responsible, the closest I got was a reference to mbba as a common constituent of the "liquid" portion, a compound with a complicated organic chemistry name, which sounds about right

Takeaway though is I'm now far more hesitant to breakdown LCDs not only for myself, I've now experienced this and know (nothing) about it, LCDs are a common item I can occasionally obtain in quantity, demanding additional labor, I don't want anyone else to experience what I did trying to assist me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

You are absolutely correct. It’s the liquids.
I HAVE warned people about the liquid layers before. Such as don’t lick the sweet smelling multicoloured goo.
Note:I’m not a scientist nor dr.

My best guess from discussions on the subject in the past with actual medical people (nurses, Drs, and EMS) is it’s the fluorinated organic and other gas based semi-solids.
The two right columns on the PdTbl.
Combined with the heavy metals you get a quick rapid uptake into the blood stream.
Depending on dose: In a few minutes you feel numb. Too late for poison control or hospital.
About 10 minutes you get dizzy. Like being on a violent rocking boat more than the drunken spinning.
By 20 minutes you’ve got cramps. Your sick. You suffer.
Within 45 minutes most people will start to recover from a small accidental exposure.
You’ll have a lingering headache. Hours or even days. Drink lots of water. LOTS of water. Coffee and tea are also good. Don’t drink electrolyte heavy beverages.you don’t want to be adding more for the remaining chemicals to bond to. That means no -aid, no smart water etc.

In older times I’d have suggested calling poison control. Here’s why I don’t now, beyond the obvious viral issue.
There’s no real solution to the problem. Some anti-venoms can help. But generally there’s not much that can be done other than managing your pain.
If it was a lethal dose you’d be dead by this point anyway. Massive fluid intake will help flush it out over the next few days.

For the general oops moments here’s my diy medi solution.

As soon as it happens
Move the glass out of reach of kids and pets
Run full open warm to hot water over the wound. Rub vigorously. Making sure no glass remains.
dump a small amount of hydrogen peroxide on the wound.
Pat dry
Wrap in clean bandage. Grab a few bottles of water. Turn on the tv. Sit DOWN. Wait.
That whole practice should take 5-10 minutes putting you safely in a chair for any effects you may suffer through.

I am not a doctor and this doesn’t not constitute medical advice. The general medical community will suggest you call poison control or 911/999 immediately. I, myself, don’t see the point in it. But that is my decision. Make your own.