Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:36 pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:16 am 

My brother closed his printing business and I acquired about 160 pounds of used plastic film negative pasted onto the yellow masking pages for burning the litho plates.
While I find buyers for X-Ray film scrap, the litho film scrap buyers are not so plentiful.
Anyone know a buyer in the East Tennessee/Kentucky/Ohio areas where these could be sold while I am delivering a load of E-Scrap to Boardsort in the Cleveland Ohio vicinity from Chattanooga Tn?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

I have NOT used them

The only one I know of in the east that doesn’t have a ton Of complaints is https://www.pyromet999.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:25 pm 

www.xrayfilmsrecycling.com

They buy litho and also x-ray film, as the name suggests.
If you strike out there, realistically any place that recovers silver should be interested in your film.

You can also reach out to MRP, we ship to them quite frequently and they are reputable (they are in Hunt Valley, MD)
www.mrpcompany.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:18 am 

Thanks for the leads, "chopped liver" (TheArchiveBooks)(you notice I gave you recognition first this time and did not confuse you with Lost in my reply) and Lostinlodos.
I am aware home recovery posts are verboten in this category, so I won't mention that silver recovery is easy from this type film. Litho film usually has lines of words which means a lot of blank space with no silver, so realistically low value, and often just a few square inches of film taped onto a yellow masking paper. As an aside, I read of "sewer" collectors who were collecting sludge downstream from businesses who dumped this type liquid waste into the sewers

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, you’re correct
On value. They want a LOT for litho
Xray tends to be interesting over a few pounds. You can sell unexposed film by the roll (though not much value).

And don’t mistake my comment about reviews. I think most people, even knowledgeable people, mistake value in weight. So read reviews carefully.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Meowpher the 10th wrote:

I am aware home recovery posts are verboten in this category, so I won't

It’s just the volume of bad advice and pure junk bunk being repeated endlessly. And I got tired of correcting so much of it.
If you want to see REAL refining, check out Moose Scrapper on YouTube.

I toss my keyboard and flat cable laminate into a drum now that my wire buyer stopped taking it. Some day I’ll refine it, or die of old age.

It takes days/weeks/months, not minutes. And investment in doing it right. It’s dangerous, and takes education. And it’s not going to make you rich unless you inherited an eacrap company. ;)

That’s where I leave the topic today.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:34 pm 

Lost, I am smart enough to figure out how to do something I shouldn't, and so far, lucky enough to have survived my stupidity. Before I became aware of boardsort, I had used the muriatic acid on a pile of fingers. That gave me the idea to try whole boards, but I did not have the funds for proper chemicals, so having had a smattering of chemistry floated past my eyeballs 40 years ago, I bought my chemicals from the gardening section of Ace Hardware. The cocktail I mixed probably had every deadly compound known in it, except for hydrofluoric acid. I was cautious enough to have the container sitting outside in the open air far away from houses when I dumped a load of boards into my witches brew. Immediately I realized I had erred, and not on the side of caution. A dense white fog began billowing from the container. This dense misty cloud hugged the ground, steadily growing larger, until it was about twenty foot spherical fog. By then I realized I did not want that cloud near me, so fortunately I had a powerful warehouse fan sitting nearby, a fan so powerful it would disturb tree leaves from 50 feet away. I turned on the fan and slowly the cloud began to roll along the ground, going uphill toward the treeline a couple hundred feet away. It hung together until I lost sight of it in the woods, with no dissipation evident. Even though the chemical reaction in the container had ceased to fume, I waited a couple days before I dared recover the boards. Surprise! The boards were stripped bare of all metal...no iron, no tin, no lead, no aluminum, no gold...nothing left but clean fiberglass .

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:07 am 
Site Admin

That wasn’t a knock on you. A quick search for the few threads I didn’t delete outright over the years, I just got sick of, being honest, people asking about stripping gold with bleach and vinegar and borax. Etc
Uh… no.

Actually sounds like what you did may actually have been correct. And hence my warning, dangerous!
The hard part is reconstituting the individual metals from the liquid and sludge.

I’ll put it this way and not expand further: the trick is distillation. With acids.
If you do this inside, I hope you have life insurance that covers crazy mental stupidity.
If you do it outside, … that cloud is no fun, wonder how many animals left the earth prematurely.
And you’ll probably get reported for brewing moonshine. That’s what happened to me. And a whole lot of very melt the skin off the bones convincing to NOT open it and check. Eventually I was fined and a hazmat team stole my gold in liquid form.

As a side note, I really do still wonder if they refined that crap themselves for the town coffers. I moved not long after, nobody was happy with me.

If you want to do it safely, again, take a look at Moose. He tells you exactly how and what and the results.
It’s doable. It can even be profitable. For me, 1-10% gain just isn’t worth the time, effort, and legal complications.