Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:57 pm 

br5409 wrote:
A really good discussion. Storage of plastic is a nightmare. Has anyone came up with a "cheap" way to grind down plastics for storage in containers? More options for recycling would be nice instead of continuing to fill land fills with this stuff.

I was putting the stuff with my curbside recycling and they take it but if I can find someone to buy it i will go that route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Generally yes, in more recent times almost always. But as you get older and older like 80s, 70s, others were used as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:32 pm 

How can you tell the metal infused plastics? I have a few thousand pounds and don't wanna mess up the melt by including that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Shiny and/or metallic looking. If it has metal it’s quite obvious. If you have ever seen the inside of a cell phone shell or the fancy “chrome” on low end appliances.

Speaking of metal, keep in mind there’s a difference between infused and coated.
Coated is usually copper, or nickel (shielding), gold, or chrome for appearance.
Scratch the surface to see if it is deeper. Separate coated from infused. Coating spray can be quickly removed with chemical treatment and recovered.

Infused has particles throughout it. Actual infusion is quite rare. You can tell by using the scrape method. And breaking anything that is still questionable. Regardless of metal used infusions will always have a slightly metallic shimmer if moved around under lighting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Automotive reception scrap buyers tend to take chrome, tin, nickel, and Carbon Fibre plastics. Nickel as well.
Good place to look into old 8-bit era computer case dumping since it’s used in automotive plastic all the time.

The same company shredding and recovering chrome infused door handles will happily add chrome infused appliance plastics; normally PP, or ABS. That includes the buttons on the outside of fancy cases and the plastic shields from expansion card backs.

I found aluminium can processors were happy to take plastic foils. Like stickers and labels. Even dog treat bags. They take aluminium infused HD compressed polystyrene too. Like shiny semi-transparent clam shells.
And aluminium coated blister packs.
Travel and sample pill packaging. Gum wrappers and cigarette pack liners. (The plastic verity, not paper). Some even take hologram and foil trading and greeting cards. Paper layer and all.

It’s been a few months but till then I’ve lately been selling my infused plastics for half #3 shred rate to my steel buyer in sub-50lb lots.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:15 pm 

You might try this: www.preciousplastic.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:47 pm 

I put the plastic in with the tin at my scrapyard. They don't care.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Assuming you me Fe tin as steel and not Sn tin as in tin. Right?
Because actual sheet tin is expensive and if they pay tin rates for plastic… I may need to drive all the way to your yard a few times a year!!!!!! Current Sn rates are $5.20-7.90!

Your yard is not unique in that aspect.
In some cases the plastics are later sorted out for bulk plastic recycling. Or:
The idea at the refinery is adding the plastic as a mixed carbon base for low grade carbon steel.

Then: Of The 9 most common plastic “types”, 2 are easily sortable, and 5 burn into a gel, being consumed very slowly. As waste slag, it’s filled and formed into machine fuel blocks.
It’s actually useful as fuel that way. And with one exception (styrene), is as clean, or cleaner, as high octane fuel.
Some green people in politics don’t understand it and are against all burns, but it is a useful and relatively clean reuse.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:05 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Assuming you me Fe tin as steel and not Sn tin as in tin. Right?

I'm always frustrated when my local yard calls the computer cases (thin sheet steel) tin. I have told them many times if they call it tin I want the tin price :)

I assume the term comes from thin sheet galvanized roofing "tin".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve made similar comments myself. Seriously people.

Actually the term is debatable tin is used for tin plated steel “tin” cans as well. And for aluminium cans with tubes plastic coating. It is used for aluminium plastic “sheet tin”’or “tin plastic”

Seriously people, for a business? use the right terms! Or pay me for what you call it. I’d love tin rate for anything they call tin, that is not tin. I could be happy with $7pp for steel computer cases!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next