Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Post subject: What the heck...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am 

Anybody ever had this happen? I know scrap prices go up and down but I just left my local yard and the value absolutely tanked for my mid grade boards. A few weeks ago it was $.48 a pound and today it was eight cents a pound. It wasn't even worth my time. At first the guy categorized the midgrade boards as low-grade. So I made him fix that but then the rate was still the same.

He seemed very unfamiliar with computer boards. And I'm wondering if it's in the wrong class even still. I feel like the last time I went the classification was "mid grade/high" so maybe there are some nuances he just wasn't aware of. Or maybe the market it's just that bad right now. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: What the heck...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Two thoughts
Sounds like they’re buying them at copper breakage rates which have dropped a bit.
Second, using class rates I stood going grades where #1 would be the equivalent of telco grade. Sounds like they’re paying you for #4 when you have them #3! And if the price was the same even after he changed the category then something is not right. There’s a fair difference between the two.
The only thing I can think of in their favour is if they buy ALL boards at a single rate. Otherwise something isn’t right.

If you have a long history with the yard bring back the receipt and talk to the manager and politely as for clarification.
If you don’t it’s time to try to find an alternative. If you’re screwed in one class it tends to be everywhere one way or another.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:16 pm 

Dropped a bit? I mean that's an 80% steep cliff kind of drop off! Lol most of the boards had huge AL heat sinks from plasma Tv such and I would've just stripped those off to get 40 cents a pound in AL rather than 8 cents a pound for the whole lot.

I checked my old receipt and the revised class to mid grade is accurate so it really is just a rate issue. They are the only local yard that buys midgrade boards for anything other than shred, though...But 8 cents is only a half a penny more than shred rate!! There's a HUGE difference in low grade and midgrade but this rate makes them practically equal.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Given the situation I’d bring the receipts and talk to a manager. Something is not right with that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:27 pm 

After a week and a half of research and deliberation they are finally deciding to revise the rate I was given

Crazy...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I’m happ it worked out. :)