Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

Post subject: Re: Good sources e-scrap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:01 pm 

Oops I forgot to mention IC chips. I do pull most all of them from low and mid-grade boards.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 am 
Site Admin

rdw1121 wrote:
Oops I forgot to mention IC chips. I do pull most all of them from low and mid-grade boards.

That’s the one thing I remove from any board worth less than peripheral. ... and any rare links gold pins.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:35 pm 

I gave the heat guns a run, but it was too slow and too much fumes, gave me headaches after 30 minutes, I decided I wasn't trying that again for anything less than a gold cap (which I've yet to see) or if I buy a PAPR system (for reference I was in the middle of comparison shopping respirators in Feb when they became "strategic resources")

I've settled into a nice groove using a husky air chisel with the standard, fairly blunt tool included with most cheap air guns, it works surprisingly well, takes off heatsinks and ic chips with ease, and no tool change, the most frustrating thing it does is some boards (the off white cream colored ones esp.) break up into pieces before the components let go.

As for what I pull, I take al heatsinks and transformers, then a second pass to take any ic chips or gold pin connectors, then sell remainder at the same price I would have gotten had I left all that on

Takes a little careful planning to get the most out of it, one yard that I'd been using heavily accepted the stripped boards at 10¢ but rejected the Al capacitors I brought and bought the transformers as shred, which irritated me,

Another yard accepted transformers as transformers but only paid 5¢ for the spent boards, so I think next time I'll strip a bucket of Al caps for yard b and make a trip to yard a, just to let them buy my trash at twice the price (actually at 10¢ for stripped boards, I don't really have much to gain from stripping Al caps)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:00 pm 

I just found out the yard I can take my low and mid-grade boards to will also take transformers as electric motors for $0.13 lb, which is better than shred or steel at the moment.
I so wish Chris would move to Texas or open a yard up down here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

rdw1121 wrote:
I so wish Chris would move to Texas or open a yard up down here.

Everyone wants Chris to have a yard down the street from them! ;)