Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:44 pm

Post subject: E-Scrap General
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:22 pm 

How do i need to sort CPU's and Memory boards? Thanks, Earl

Post subject: Re: E-Scrap General
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:38 pm 
Reputable Seller

RAM boards are fairly easy to sort. First, look at the fingers, which are the pin ends where the RAM sockets into the motherboard and look at the color. Most will be gold, but older RAM sticks used silver or tin, which is less valuable. Next, look at your gold fingered RAM and remove any that have aluminum heatsinks covering the chips. These are your RAMBUS RAM chips. With RAMBUS chips, you can sell them as-is for less money, or try to remove the heatsinks and upgrade them to gold fingered RAM. Do whatever will work best for you, but I always try to remove the heatsinks because the aluminum I get can go into my bucket that I sell to my local scrap yard.

For CPU chips, your best tool here to sort them is the e-scrap gallery, which is linked to the boardsort home page. From there, you can compare the different chip types photographed by boardsort and compare them to what you have. Any that you are unsure of, you can always upload a photo to the identification forum and another forum member can grade them for you. Scob89 and myself are usually around most days, but other members do chime in as well.

Post subject: Re: E-Scrap General
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 pm 

Thank you for the help. In the gallery, the first picture in no pin CPU's has pins. Are they still considered no pin? They are green fiber with metal but they show up as no pin in the gallery. Thanks, Earl