Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:13 pm 

A couple weeks ago, I was feeling smug because I had delivered a small pickup load to Boardsort for a nice better than expected pay, and thought I had pretty well cleaned out my computer recycling material. Was I wrong. I must have left a few fertile bits lying around, because yesterday, when I started cleaning out the old haybarn, which I am in the process of converting to art studio/living quarters, I found boxes of overlooked cell phone boards, hard drive boards, Telco class boards that didn't go last load because of a few pieces of heavy steel that needed removing...I loaded the Ford Ranger again with just the throwback-for-later processing, or didn't know class, or just plain overlooked. Also, found I had about 20 five gallon buckets of gold pin connectors, cable ends, etc. And, still havent got to the basement area where I saw several totes of forgotten cable/satellite boxes and vintage telephone equipment.
Just like in the Star Trek story, everywhere I look, I see more recyclables hiding. Will it never end? Hope not!

Since Lost has given a primer on pin extraction, looks like I will spend a few wintery days pulling pins.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_4463 (2).JPG
IMG_4463 (2).JPG [ 337.84 KiB | Viewed 5593 times ]
Got a couple buckets of these ten or twelve-armed contactors. These are the tips, which contain a contact button, some small and others larger. These end sections shown are only a quarter inch or so at their longest dimension, but the whole arm is about 5 inches. They are naturally a chocolate milk brown, but whitish metal when cut. The unusual quality is that these tips have been in 30 Baum HCl for several days, with no apparent dissolving, just deepening of the brown exterior color. Any idea of composition? Would Chris be willing to use his magic machine to determine makeup and desirability to Boardsort? Some of the contact points are obviously silver, as they have tarnished black, while others remained brilliant all these years, in the same environment. But the pressing question is, what metal is brown?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

If it’s brown before you cut, and silvery when sliced into it sounds like a rapid oxidising metal.
The fact that hcl doesn’t dissolve it... narrows it down a bit.
Most right leaning transition metals are resistant to acids.
Let me dig a bit in my old chemistry charts and get back to you.
And yes I am sure Chris could help. Just email him and set up sending in a sample.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that didn’t help.

Few questions to narrow this down.
Is it ferromagnetic? Ferritic. Meaning does it stick to a magnet, and how strong is the pull of any. A high content titanium iron carbide could fit this.
Non-magnetic? Something like Iridium with nickel creates thick rapid oxidation. Or a germanium alloy.
Or it could be a tin-platinum alloy.

And it could as well be a metallic ceramic with a high nickel chrome content.
These safely oxidise and most are resistant to acids.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:30 pm 

Went to my local yard today to pick up cash for last weeks copper sales, (Tn requires a 5 day waiting period on Copper sales, and a total prohibition on Airconditioner coils/, unless you are a licensed HVAC or licensed recycler) Just happened to remember I had one of these contact finger clusters lying around and took it in for a quick RF test. Turns out the spring fingers were an allow of something like Copper and nickel in high percentages, 60, 35, or similar (didn't get a print out, just general. It wasn't an alloy they would buy in such small quantities, maybe a pound or so if all two thousand of them were cleaned. However, when I asked the tester to read the gold contacts (which didn't interest him), he hit the button and showed me it said Au 30 %. Since there was a line of customers waiting for their money, I didn't ask for any explanations, not try to determine how much of the stem was being read, or if it was just the contact itself.
I am having trouble sending photos from my galaxy j7 to my email address. I can send to FB and other people, but not to my own different email address.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

If all else fails try the app MailTo