Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:55 pm 

I have a couple of questions here.....

Does Boardsort buy these?

Given the personal data stored on these chips, is there any way to destroy or remove that the data from them?

Attachments:
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG [ 2.69 MiB | Viewed 6243 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Cut them cleanly and they go as SIM cards.

Ideally you use a card reader/writer and zero it out with software like bcwipe.

You could rig up a zapper with something like a microwave oven capacitor (20,000-60,000 volts) some scrap wire and gator clips. (Poster is NOT responsible for injury, death, or destruction of property or neighbourhoods)

You could call NASA or one of the dozen private space groups and have them set it under the boosters on the next launch. But boardsort would not be interested in the resultant carbonised powder.

You could tape it to an M-80 and blast it to pieces. If you have enough m-80s and enough smart chips putting them back together would be difficult and boardsort would probably buy the pieces still. (M-80s are only legal for use by Indian nationals in a limited number of reservations).

Honestly though I wouldn’t worry about it. Assuming it’s a credit card... most use 256-bit encryption and some even use 512. So you can’t crack the chip. You need the key. So even if someone stole one of the merchant transaction servers or an ATM they’ll still have to very carefully delaminate the chip, place it into a new card, all without damage. Then, since keys change daily, or every few hours, depending on the card issuer, bank, and network; they then spend a few weeks running a dark web decryption program based against a crypto currency blockchain fork to brute force the 128-bit access log to get a list of prior keys, and a few more hours or days running the numbers through a dedicated attack to match, maybe, a prior working key to the version snapshot of the stolen hardware to match it to a current useable card key.
All the while they have to come up with your last name, phone number, and zip code as well.
Assuming they do all that, and make a match, and get an authorisation, they then have less than 20 minutes (often 5 or less) to make a purchase using all the above information to Make a purchase that clears.
If they run out of time they have to start all over!
If it bounces a purchase, either because a required id tag is wrong or the attempted amount is too high for your account’s current line of credit: they have to start all over.

Don’t worry about it. Honestly. 99.9% of the time (literally) they’d rather steal a cheque from your mail. They have your account, routing number, name, address, and a cheque number. So they can just hop online, move the cheque number up a few, and make an ACH purchase.

They may clone your card at some shady ATM in the middle of a field or back alley where you’d be a fool to use it in the first place! but NO criminal is going to attempt to use the old SIM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

That’s all meant for LULZ btw. Boardsort buys them as SIM cards if you trim them loose, and the chance of a security issue is virtually non-existent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:39 pm 

O my gosh that had me laughing. Im guessing with only two or three chips I trim them and throw them in peripheral or should they be kept separate?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Keep them separate. They’re not worth as much as peripheral
You could probably get away with tossing them into gold pin connectors if you only have one or two.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

How to crack a smart card is actually fairly easy to find online. The bottom line is it’s easy to find info because nobody can do it. The technology doesn’t exist. Even with quantum computers to break the encryption, which they should be able to do, they still couldn’t do the whole process fast enough.
Both getting the information right and starting over are the issue even with quantum processing. Exhausting an authorisation key with every mistake and every success. There’s only a few AKs that will match up in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 am 

Am i missing it or is "SIM cards" not on the pay chart? What do they pay?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:54 am 
Site Admin

It’s not on the chart. The price varies depending on thickness, size, and for other smart card items, how well it was trimmed of the rest of the card. They’re lower than peripheral rate. But the actual amount is decided when they get them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Let’s have some fun.
Tape or glue the chip to a bloated lithium battery. Place the battery in an iron pot. Careful puncture battery with long sharp spear. Wait 30 seconds till flame and smoke clear to collect gold alloy button.

Place stainless spoon in microwave. Place chip in spoon. Heat on high for 30 seconds. Contents will be hot after cooking, let stand for 3 minutes.

Remove battery clamp from car battery. Place chip between clamp and battery and tightly reattach clamp. Drive for 50 miles with dell laptop plugged into lighter port. Remove goopy chip.

Place chip in base of aluminium pot. Add 2 tablespoons of unthinned Thai chilly sauce. Heat on low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Rinse throughly. Send separated gold film to boardsort for custom quote. (Un-thinned bottle is Apx $45 on Amazon).

I’m still thinking up ways to destroy this chip’s data. I’ll be back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Let’s have some fun.

I’m still thinking up ways to destroy this chip’s data. I’ll be back.

I'm partial to the following methods myself..

1: Salvaging a Sim slot from a phone and wire the connections to where they go through the card itself in series. Add that slot to a switch box like is used in your house with a switch and a small light attached. Add the SIM and plug the box into an outlet. Flip the switch and the light comes on with all the power going through the SIM card. Once the SIM Burns out the light will turn off automatically. Unplug from the wall, remove the now fried Sim, and insert the next one and repeat.

2: Take 1/2 cup of SIMs and place in a Blender. Pulse the blender on high for 30sec to 1min. Remove the powered SIM and using a gold pan remove all the non gold fragments.

3: A variation on LOST's Thai cooking method.. in place of the Thai sauce Taco Bells "Diablo" sauce could be substituted .. This would be cheaper as you can get the packets for free. Cooking times and success will be based upon which sauce you use and your altitude. Your results may vary.