Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 pm 

I know boards are telecom by their IC population. Why is there only a .25 cent difference in the payout rate between IC chips and telecom boards?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi.
Previously refining my stuff myself in the past...!
I actually think it's really generous. Considered that green boards, when nude (no components) run 25-50c a pound. Even the silver masked and gold masked boards most high-grade cards are run under $2-6 per pound.
Remember they need to do something with this stuff.
strip (remove components) process (remove grean layer) refine (extract pm and copper ) sink (break down iron, carbon and plastic) and then mold each extracted element for resale.

For all that work we're looking at a nice higher end payout from /the/ most reputable recycler on the internet today.

Processing raw ic chips is a fairly easy task for a large company with the methodology in place.
These telco boards are in the same refining category as gold connection ends. You pay flat and often over-pay since the rare stuff will make up the differences
Anyone who think a vga cable end is worth 60c+ is nuts. But when you get 50 rj45 jacks and a scsi cable with it it makes sense.

Hope that answered your question

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:11 pm 

Thanks for the response. I wasn't thinking about the labor end of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:41 pm 

it all comes down to the material on the board and the averages they get from the refiners... when you refine chips you are primarly dealing with gold and some minor amounts of base metals...

when you consider a telecom board, not only do you have to consider the chips and other surface mount devices (capacitors, chip resistors, etc.) but there is a signifigant weight in copper and fiberboard and ceramics. They keep track of the refinery results and adjust their prices accordingly.