Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:04 pm

Post subject: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Aluminium is all very close right now unfortunately. Even in tonnage most yards stopped sorting for the time being. The difference is hundredths of a penny.
As of Friday 9th spun/extruded was 36c avg and clean (Al#1) was 35c and finally dirty (Al#3) was 34c so there really isn't much difference. Its bottomed out. Fwiw ore is at 29c so the price really is at the floor for the moment it can only go up. You really can't expect a difference between 1201 and 2245 these days.
If they give you one rate for all aluminium that's why. The only things I've gotten a better rate for in the last few months is heat sinks and cans (42-45c two weeks ago)

South east i use ABCO. 95TH and Genoa behind the senior care center and next to the dpt of water. Non ferrous only.
Family owned since day one. brothers. Everyone is nice there. If bringing pm ask for Al.

West (a little bit) west Melrose recycling. Building looks tiny from the street but is actually huge inside. Lake street /il20 two blocks west of Harlem. Just past swaporama on the opposite side.
Best rates for breakage and sealed equipment. Motors cbm etc.
Ladies are kind but drive a hard line. Negotiate... they're iscrap members so they'll match preferred yard prices.
No glass no plastic period.

Cozzi O'Brien
East il20. 8 blocks east of Harlem in the industrial center on 25th. Warehouse on the tracks. WATCH OUT FOR TRUCKS FORK LIFTS AND STUPID PEOPLE!!!!
Very busy tight yard. Pay attention or you'll be scrapping your car there too!
Not the best prices but they buy anything. Literally with some negotiations. Great for large loads of trash. Better than average steel prices but low non ferrous rates.
To some extant buys plastics and wood.
José is the scale master there. Fun guy. Always in a good mood.
Cob recycling is one of the largest and busiest companies in the great lakes. sort it or take the hit. Anything non-sorted (much like boardsort) goes for the lowest class rating. Given that "old al" is 22c verse 34... and the best iron/steel rates are over 20c you don't want 4c/lb because you left a plastic drive bay on your 200lbs of computer cases. ;)
No whole crts. If you remove and detach the glass and shell from the rest and BREAK and remove the "tube" from the back you can toss the leaded glass in the bin with the rest of Your breakage. You'll find the wall areas littered with tube tvs people were too lasy or too afraid to dissect themselves.
Oh... and they also on-site breakdowns to a limited degree so again watch out for idiots. I've given some rather heated stern warnings to people who are just plain stupid (like I'll back my truck over you and your rental trailer if you fling one more thing at m windows)!

Post subject: Re: Chicago
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 pm 

Thank you for this Chicago information! I am in Chicago too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:01 am 

Very knowledgeable. Very valuable to boardsort.

Thank you though

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:22 am 
Site Admin

For the rest of the people in north east il and northwestern in i highly highly recommend abco. I've taken to holding everything for up to a month and drive 20+ miles just because I trust them.
I've been going there since 1998 after another yard first screwed me thwn threatened to call the police if i didn't leave. (Long story... and i called the cops myself )

My second Trip to abco involved my tossing what i believed to be a brass band into my brass pile. One employee fished it out gave it to al and i walked away with over $400 on a gold payout.
They're old school... single floor scale and a manual weight system. But I've never found any company anywhere in the 8 states I've lived in so willing to fight to make customers happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:39 am 

Neighborhood by abco is a bit slanted tho isnt it?

I live about 10 miles away by plane so maybe ill go there next time.

You said if bringing pm, ask for al. What is pm?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:48 am 
Site Admin

lucas01230 wrote:
... live about 10 miles away by plane so maybe ill go there next time.

You said if bringing pm, ask for al. What is pm?

Precious metals.
Fastest route is 83rd to Pulaski in the afternoon
83rd to Ashland during the morning hours.
Best shot at getting through abco quickly are 930-1130 and 1pm-4pm

Saturday they close between 12 and 1230 and tend to be busy with company loads.

It's not the gold coast but let's be honest there are far worse places to go... and i used to live nor too far from there. Off 87th.
And if anyone is wondering (i know a few are) im mid 30s white male. And not the slightest bit concerned.

Just remember the news gets paid for over exaggerated stories of nonsense. It's 95th not 195th. Anyone from Chicago knows this ia just another district. Let's not needlessly scare anyone.
It's 12 blocks west of the DR or about 5-8 miles east of Harlem 294 cross. There's a mall a Starbucks and a peets market.
You're far more likely (and the gold coasters will hate me for this but it's true) to get jacked up at 900blk Michigan than 95th and 1200.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:52 am 
Site Admin

Actually there's at least 5 Starbucks within 2 miles and a dozen corner coffee shops. Lol. Gotta love big chi.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 am 

i live west of there. ive just never been that far down 95th. Never had a reason. Im only 19 so you can imagine what goes through my mind. Is not too far from chis most coveted neighborhood... But its far enough. I dont know too much about chi but a good general idea.

But yeah i gotten sick of news esp their police stories. I know exactly what you're saying. Ive do plenty of research on my own to see whats what.

Offtopic, its a shame alot of those houses get foreclosed. They have such historical value: architecture, time period.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:56 am 
Site Admin

It's actually a really nice neighborhood if you can get past the "look" of it and I have kept in touch with most of my old neighbors.
Mixed race mixed income. About 40% white the rest black Hispanic and Chinese.
As for the buildings themselves some of them date back to the 1800s and there's the original library building on 103rd that's from 1846 so there's some real history there.
That. And the family on 97th and ardmore who have the plastic santa in the front yard all year long. Lol
Born and raised I'm biased but like LA and unlike NYC and other big cities Chicago is one of a kind. Where elae can You fine neighbours with the black panther party flag on one house and the Confederate flag next door and the neighbors bbq together anyway?!?!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:48 am 
Site Admin

lucas01230 wrote:
i live west of there. ive just never been that far down 95th.

Lets put it this way. I'm on the edge of Dupage and cook co. In a town named after a tree and name for slow river and... well. I'M sure you can figure it out when i say most trophy wives would consider it coulture shock to go to abco.

It's far less problematic than media would make it appear.

The m steep library. The Baptist church (don't care what religion you are or even agnostic/atheist you must visit! ) stop at dicks corner market 95th and 38. Dick...Willie... is better than Google when it comes to Chicago lore. best food under $20/plate. Best food over $100 plate. Most scenic lovers lane. Haunted locals.
I've been called a fount of useless knowledge but this man is a walking source of the practical to absurd.