Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:56 am 

Kmt16200 wrote:
I just took in so much information I may have forgotten my own name. Bravo gents. Excellent thread.

It is indeed an excellent thread. People from all over the net will be visiting this thread I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a nickel plating or a low nickel alloy. Honestly I'd cut them. If they're silver all the way through I just toss them in stainless 302 and move on. (Or stainless/300 stainless in general if under 10lbs)
As I've always said there will always be exceptions to the rules.

Sounds good. If you ever get out to abco they can give you a free neodymium alloy keychain magnet (or email me I'll ship you a cobalt one for free) .

With the tinny stuff weight is a tossup. I snip them because I have the time and nothing better to do at 3am. If you leave "enough" on the board you will get copper breakage for them vs copper shred. A difference of of up to 10c a pound.

Often! Too often. And it could be anything. I've pulled nickel, stainless, plated ferrite, ...
Any heatsink that sort of sticks goes stainless 300/302.
Anything that jumps to the magnet goes steel.
And everything else goes where it belongs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:45 pm 

Haha. I had a day off school today. Last night I was in the garage past 12am better than tv. Got too cold.

But Is that a how it goes? If it tries to stick nickel plating. If it completely sticks, nickel?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Most often if it sticks and it's a connector it is nickel, getting to know the difference between nickel and steel is a matter of practice

. In general pins are

magnetic
nickel
Gold plated nickel
Silver plated nickel
Gold plated carbon steel (high use connectors)
Sort out gold plated (for boardsort (: )
Silver plated and clean nickel go in nickel pile

Slightly magnetic
plated nickel on;
nickel alloys, 201 302, 316 etc stainless Toss it in stainless

Non magnetic (need to cut them to find out if plated)
Silver, gold, palladium, (rarely platinum, or rhodium in very expensive high end stuff)
such plating is:

on brass (yellow or dark red)
on copper (dull yellow or orange)
on magnesium (dark grey)
on manganese (light blue grey)
on aluminium (grey, has no weight to it)

Solid gold pins are used for high grade boards for high speed wire transmission. Usually embedded or industrial equipment. Luxury and higher class cars for computer controllers

Palladium pins are found in sas and scsi ports of laser scanners and medical equipment.

Platinum gold and clean rhodium is found in medical, aerospace, portable tech (cell phones tablets etc) .

Rhodium is found in high heat environments as well. From jumpers to switches, relays, pins. Anything bound to an environment where temps exceed 100° C for long periods. Very old tvs. Translator radios, mini- and mainframe computers. Industrial equipment and scanning lasers (airport fedex, ups) . Fire/rescue equipment. Old vhs/beta players (ones with metal shells).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Many old kit computers from the 70s and 80s use palladium plated nickel pins for transmission cables and silver plated or nickel plated steel pins for power.

Pre 88 ibm and apple units are both almost entirely gold and silver plated nickel pins. Apple used gold on copper for external bus connectors and ibm used gold on brass for slot pins in ports internally.