Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm 

Anyone have any Idea when th prices are gonna go up? Gold has been steady climbing from 1050 and the prices haven't changed. I'm waiting for a price bump before I sell anything. Maybe board sort is making up for losses when the gold price was dropping? Anyone have any insight?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:08 pm 

I've been holding as well. I will hold for as long as at it takes but I won't sell at this price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 am 

Its not just gold that you have to consider... +$50 in the price of gold is hardly that much, but its not the only metal that boardsort considers when figuring their averages. Copper is a large part of the metal payouts and it has been in the dumps (right around $2/lb). Palladium is also very low. Platinum is the same (just jumped up from a 5 year low).

There are a host of precious and base metals they get paid for, so you have to consider the metals market as a whole... and right now, it sucks for scrappers :/

recently, gold prices has been getting a boost from 'safe haven' buyers and speculation that the fed isn't going to be raising interest rates... it has been almost the only metal that has been breaking out of the downward trend of metals in the last six months. If the fed does keep the intrest rates unchanged, I would expect to see a bump up in most metals soon.

Also, one other thing to consider...Boardsort only updates the prices online once a week so that could have something to do with it too (the price list at the dock gets can change daily though).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:07 am 
Site Admin

Gold is doing exactly what it was predicted to do by insiders in the refining business. Expect a 15% ise from December by end of Feb.
However in general gold is an afterthought for e-scrap business when it comes to MOST board buying. Cell phone/tablet boards, and ram being the exception.
Scrap PCBs are based on three metals more than anything else. and today's national spread.

Copper $1.10-$2.05
Nickel $2.45-3.25
Iron breakage base:: in lbs about ¼-2¢ when any 2 of those 3 go up escrap goes up. When they're down escrap goes down.
Expect gold ram, hard drive controller cards and cell phone boards to take a minor rise over the coming month.
For everything else you're better selling now. Brief spikes aside, copper is going down and that's not going to change anytime soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:45 pm 

I don't know about all that, but what I can say is there's no real local competition around here. I live an hour away, I'm there two or three times a month with a few hundred pounds a trip, nothing crazy. I'm sure they do well with this boardsort thing but the local business is what's really big. There's nothing to much more in the Cleveland area to compete with him. I've been selling to them a couple of years now and built a business off of it, so I get it a bit more now. But I'm sure if prices stay over 1100 for more than 30 days prices will go up all over. It's all about the gold, don't be fooled by anything else. All of these places price off of gold. They don't do any fancy processing up there, they pack boxes up with boards, 25 or 30k lbs, ship it to the refiner. Month or two later get a check. Done. Get a solid price per pound on all boards mixed. Whole PC from business get wrapped up on pallets and trucked out!! Whole. It's a scrapyard. Period. But he takes care of his people. I understand holding out on selling having to ship them, it's pricy. Gold stays up over 30 days there'll be an increase I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 pm 

I'm honestly thinking about driving to Cleveland with a van full of boards. I'm in the Boston area and gas is so cheap now it would be cheaper than shipping. I fit two and a half pallets (102 units) of towers in my van once. I bet I could easily fit a few thousand $ worth of boards. Make a road trip of it. :) when the prices bump a little of course. Still got some stuff to break down anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 am 

Example of shipping cost for 1000 lbs from Boston to Boardsort that I can provide $119.98 from commercial address with dock or forklift or dropped off at carriers terminal in Stoughton MA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 am 

Haha. Don't worry gorven driving there is kind of a pipe dream I wouldn't really have time to drive for 18 hours anyway. I'm going to use you. I like that you are paying attention though as I mentioned stoughton in my last email.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Speaking as someone who refined himself for a while, the average large socket motherboard produced about ¼ gram. Or $3-$5 in gold yeald.
Though the silver, (1-3gr) nickel (avg ½lb) copper and brass recovery, about a pound. And a whole lot of fiber plastics, and ceramics scrap.
You figure even on an industry scale of hundreds of tonns you're loosing almost half the value in materials and energy, and the prices really do make sense.

Ignoring any comments about what you may see find or hear (the exception in escrap always exists) board sort is honestly one of the highest payers in the country outside of direct refining sales. And.presumably no one here using boardsort is in the realm, personally, to be making much more than this going to a refiner.
General escrap (mobo, peripheral cards etc, not the higher end stuff) really is pegged to copper values.
Where gold comes into play you can see the difference easily. Look at anyones comparison between finger cards and fingerless. Or gold ram vs mixed (silver peg) vs fingerless ram (copper).
How much gold is in a pound of ram, veritably between 5-8 dollars depending on size format and ics among other issues. So that $11 you get today for gold ram he'll get $15 /lb for 10 tonns of it. You'd get about 10-12. If you have enough for a refiner to take it at all.

Conclusion; watch copper prices not gold. Copper goes up escrap goes up. Copper goes down escrap goes down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:08 pm 

I was absolutely in no way putting down boardsort w this post. There isn't a company out there that pays anywhere near what boardsort pays. My local buyers are consistently about half on every category. Plus the website and education offered here. Plus Chris is great. Hands down best option and I'm a guy who looks into all the options. All u guys have answered my question because I was only looking at gold. I do watch copper and base metal prices too but I didn't think they affected these prices as much as gold. with copper dropping steadily like it has, that explains what has been happening. Either way, boardsort gets everything I have higher than mid grade and will continue to. Just trying to learn from the guys who have more experience than me. I'm still pretty green in the big scheme of things.