Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

Post subject: DLP. Where is it.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:09 am 

I took apart a digital projector last night hoping to add to a pile of DLP's I got from the same guy who gave me the projectors. After screws and plastic and about 45 mins I came up with a few peripheral boards and some mid/low grade boards and a decent amount of aluminum. Also this weird cube thing with gold plated ribbon wire. What is this thing? Is this some weird verision of a DLP? If not. Where is the DLP usually inside these things. Help lol

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 14508 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 14508 times ]

Post subject: Re: DLP. Where is it.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thats the refractive cube. Not sure what the correct term is. A usually a silicate or quartz based glass with a poly- plastic blend and almost always has some trace level of rhodium in it.
Catch is nobody really wants them. If you have a massive amount (my refiner requires a minimal 100lbs). Boardsort doesn't buy and most scrap yards... if they take it at all it will be at a plastic or steel shred rate.
My suggestion is go to yellowpages.com (not Google or bing) and enter the zip code of the closest major city and look up refinery/precious metals or plastic/production and distribution and call and ask if and how much they take them for.

The dlp chip (the housing for it anyway) is directly in line with one of 5 sides of that cube other than infront.
Most don't look like the big gold one in the pictures here though. You're more likely looking for a small flat ceramic chip between the size of a nickel and a half dollar with a glass top and a hole under the glass.
I'll post a photo of one i pulled in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:31 pm 

How did I know it would be you to post a long and very thorough answer. Your like the e-scrap Wizard. When I read your posts I think they would be better read by Morgan freeman. Thanks lodos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about the delay. My phone doesn't like sending photos to boarssort.com.
Or sending photos... or sending...?
Actually i think my new note is a lemon.
:'(

So the little one ia from a portable texas instruments "studio class" unit. Same size found in phablet phones (like my sick already note 4) and large digital camcorders

Second one is out of this. https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-projectors/cat-largevenue/product-VPLFHZ700L%2FB/. Which is probably close to what you had if not considerably larger. The fancy gold ones in the gallery look all nice but the are first generation and overkill in every way. And the design was killed real early on.
Fwiw: there's actually /more/ gold on the type i posted below than the shiny gold rimmed ones. So don't judge content by a cpu's cap. Sts.

Attachments:
20151025_124304-1.jpg
20151025_124304-1.jpg [ 3.14 MiB | Viewed 14494 times ]
20151025_124328-1-1.jpg
20151025_124328-1-1.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 14494 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Ah. Mr narrator!
'The user has Responded to the comments at this point (long pause) and has made the decision to thank the poster,with sincerity, for what he found to be a warm reply of encouragement. We will soon find out what he decides to post next'.
Lol. I love him... he could make 6 hour videos of amoeba splitting interesting!
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:34 am 

pretty sure you took apart a LCD projector. not a DLP projector so you may have a damn long mission ahead of you trying to find that DLP board inside it. You do understand that the projector I guarantee would have made you a good 10 dollar bill on eBay, and there is not a pound of DLP anywhere inside of that thing. honestly if there is a dlp board inside of that, then it was a hybridish (kinda) LCoS and you should just weep at the dollars youve burned with no flame.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

All digital projectors will have a dlp of one sort or another.
But TheDragon has a point you should always try to sell whole units first before you scrap.
Digi projects range $20-thousands doa.
I bought one from goodwill dead as a doorstop For $30 and swapped the power board with a highvoltage board from an emergency light system and sold is as a "dangerous but working not responsible for fires" unit for $200.

Huge market for stuff like that. Just cover your arse with not responsibles and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:31 pm 

Lol. Thanks. I was told by where I got it that it was broken. So. While yall have a point on working units, I imagine "non functional projector for repair or parts" as an eBay post likely would not have had many bids.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Just for the record. These are all both BROKEN and SOLD.
It takes patience but they do sell no matter how broken they are as long as the unit is whole.
http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&_nkw=Digital+projector&_sacat=-1&_dcat=22610&cnm=All+&LH_ItemCondition=7000&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

The other option is selling parts doa.
The lenses go well under camera parts
The cubes go in edu/science/tech or coins/bullion/other
The boards can all go in industrial/tech as doa
The case/shell and internal mounts in electronics/home/projectors/parts...
Etc.

Projectors and cameras are two of the largest parts markets after auto and industrial.