Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:38 am

Post subject: HEALTH and SAFETY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 pm 

Can someone post an excellent link, or write down safety precautions to take when dismantling circuit boards and other electronics?

Is there any way to appeal to Boardsort to create a new Discussion Section geared towards safety?

A lot of people who are scrapping in their basement, garage, backyard, etc may not be aware of just how dangerous some of the components can be, if not respected. A lot of people I see giving advice on youtube are young, and they get into this activity for the extra pocket change -they may not have an education in electricity, chemistry, or computers. They might be oblivious to the types of dust, smoke, liquids, etc that can result from dismantling e-scrap.

Enduring trauma and developing serious illnesses over a few dollars is a real bummer, so if anyone has a fantastic safety checklist they would like to share, it could save a young geek's health, or even life. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: HEALTH and SAFETY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

I've mentioned in quite a few of my replies about safety issues. I will forever endure Pneumonomicroscopicsilicovolcanosis (silicon poisoning aka black lung disease) because of melting old boards prior to learning the hazards and I'm not even at 40 yet.
Not to mention my responses about explosion and electrocution.
Acid burns. Base burns. I've been in the er enough due to my own stupidity enough to keep the hospital running on my bills.
Over the years I've managed to learn enough to keep myself safe, now, but i never had help on my learning.

I do my best to pass on warnings when needed.
Problem is no one writeup can cover every case and what you see on YouTube...!
Well i posted my thoughts on YouTube videos in a general warning not long ago. Those fools in many cases have NO idea what they're doing. Shirtless truck bed guy comes to mind who bashes apart microwaves and tube tvs in his truck, outside, in the rain. Among other stupid idiotic ideas.

Escrapping is safe when approached safely and deadly when done with ignorance.

Post subject: Re: HEALTH and SAFETY
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

My advice is to always consider every transformer and capacitor live and charged.

Ground your workbench or the materials your working on BEFORE you start.

If it doesn't come apart the way you think it should YOU are wrong. Look it up. Find another way.

If it cancan turn on assume it will.

Using a heat gun? Atleast wear a mask if not a respirator.

Soldering irons and molten solder are HOT! you have no idea how often this comes up.

Box cutters razor knives and saws all blades are sharp. Use common sense!

ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING on a computer circuit board is toxic, and potentially DEADLY.
You don't want to breath dust or fumes.

Nothing is editable. Not so much an issue for adults but keep small things away from pets,small children and stupid people.

Keep a full and complete med kit on hand and a fire extinguisher abcdj type on hand.

Don't sleep with the saws-all running or use while in the shower. ;)