Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:05 pm 

Mod's cant you just cancel this trolls act?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

It's a lost cause. Cancel one account he comes back as another.
For now I just sweep up the mess.
Nuke is a rather strong assault. I'd rather use a bfg. Then he melts a bit first with minimum lasting fallout. =)
Or maybe the chicken gun from hexen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:13 pm 

Ah yes, the good old days of DOOM, Hexen and Heretic. Killer instinct kicking in...

You know... with an IP address and the right "tools", we can do wonders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Those who ever read the Doom Bible AND were around in the IBM Xt/kit system days will be able to figure out the true meaning in my username.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:23 pm 

Without trying to give too much away;
I'm thinking that at some point, you were/or still are arranging 0s and 1s in CONFIG.SYS without, or before, loading a HIMEM.SYS, something along those lines, Commander? (not sure if I have described that exactly right, and, yes, pun intended)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

On the right thread. I'm not going to take away from the doom bible, it's not just about the game. If you like tech it's a great read. If you like the free version pick up the coffee table version. Has many of the software notes and journals not included in the free ebook.
Hell side of mars had a mirror moon.
Lodos is an xt/at pre sc command implemented by Microsoft or ibm (still point fingers at each other) that brought up a direct access programming terminal for machine code input to program static reprogrammable rom expansions (SRRE). It was shipped disabled (and noncompiled) on the early IBM 2xxx and 38xx computers. Early /mid 80s. Because nobody did what they were supposed to in those days, use the bios as a bridge, dont make direct hardware calls, by the early 90s the idea ovlf Ibm vs pc vs wintel vs... ...compatible systems made programming a nightmare for anything more advanced than spreadsheet software.
I won't spoil the chapter but the moon was named lodos for a reason, and it was hell.
Load Out-of-order dynamic operations service. Or any of a dozen other bacronyms.

MARS (mark all read scripts)
Phobos (moon/basic command)
Deimos (moon/dos command)
lodos (evil moon/rom level terminal)

Now if you want to know the /rest/ of the story read about programming the xt and the doom bible. (And pick up doom Alpha 0.2a from old software).

There's only one lodos and I've been me since 1994

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:01 am 

That's too freaking cool. Now I've got more reading up to do.
Your Location was the biggest signpost.

Never did too much on the programming end of things, but I could mostly work my way with the command line. My biggest fame was when I messed with the win.ini files on some machines running early Windows. I forced them to run a PowerPoint slide show as soon as they booted to the OS. When operators powered up their machines, they were subjected to a cartoon (all clipart) of a computer error, then a stick figure stacking tnt on the machine, blowing it up, jumping up and down, and running off into the distance with his arms waving, all before it went to the Desktop. I thought it was the funniest thing to watch. Corporate IT guys had a different perspective. Though, later, they made me their night shift IT troubleshooter.

Always been a fan of DOOM, I have the Game Pack with I, II and Final (Plutonia and TNT), as well as DOOM III with the DOOM I WAD (that has to to be my favorite), all loaded into my rig for when I feel like going back. As a matter of fact, if you ever visit Heroes And Generals (a WWII era FPS/RTS game, free online), you may bump into a character named "DoomedInDoom". Yeah, that's me, too funny.