Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 am 

Good Morning everyone!

I'm a small time e-waste hoarder. I have a spare bedroom that was mostly full of old computer tech. I'm tired of having it all piled in there, and remembered reading about boardsort a few years ago.

I began yesterday pulling everything apart. I had a pile of old towers. I pulled all the boards out, and took the plastic and aluminium to my local recycle drop-off.

I have a PILE of old CD/DVD drives, Power Supplies, and Hard Drives (And a few other small items).

I know what most of it is, and once I get it all sorted, I plan to post pics here to verify the items.

My questions begin here.

With the HDDs, CD/DVDs, and PSUs, its tough to tell if the shipping cost vs payout is worth it.

I already began taking apart most of the CD/DVD drives, and pulling the larger of the green boards, and piling them up. There are several other small green boards, and another with a brown back. Do I send these in too, or just take them to the local recycler?

HDDs, these definitley do not look like they would be worth sending in... Perhaps only the boards, and recycle the rest locally? Thoughts?

Power Supplies. Even disassembled, they don't seem like they'd be worth the shipping.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Cd/dvd players. Pull the controller s and scrap the unit locally
Same thing for hard drives.

Power supply’s tend to fall onto that idea as well
But: cut the “tail” off for a mixed wire rate (boardsort) or harness rate (large scrap yards)
There ARE a few PSU designs that can be cleaned up to reach peripheral.
But you won’t see them in anything at the consumer/small business level machines. If it came out of a tower/desktop cut the tail and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am 

Ok groovy!

First, thank you so much for the reply! :D

I took some pictures last night. Boards I think I can sort myself. Small pile of RAM.

CD/DVD Players, only the big control board, not the other two right? There is a smaller board that is attached near the laser, and another to the left with a brown back. Those are junk right?

Same thing on the HDD, the large board on the outside of the HDD is all I should send in. The rest is junk, including the platters right? What's this weird little box with small black balls in it?

PSU, so I cut the "tails" and I further removed the plastic MOLEX connectors as well. Nothing inside is worth sending in?

How about a pile of old Motorola Razrs?

These are mostly from networking gear. Old Netgear WiFi Router, etc.

The bottom right one came out of one of those old LED clocks. No idea if it's worth anything, but that looks like copper?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:51 am 
Site Admin

The cd drive. Big board is CD/DVD
Laser board is peripheral
Motor board is midgrade

Boardsort buys platters. Shipping them is up to you
Someone once posted that the box was all your deleted bits! ;)
It’s a filter

PSU; low grade and mixed aluminium and copper, nothing really worth shipping

Break them down or send them whole. Remove the batteries first and tape over the contacts. You’ll need to ship batteries ground though. Against the law to put loose batteries on a plane so no priority mail etc.

A gold finger card and some peripheral
Test the metal with a magnet. It’s probably an iron bronze but could be copper.