Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:15 am 

I have about 500 laptop li-ion battery non-working. They are still in the shells. How do I ship these?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:58 am 
Site Admin

Lion batteries are federally regulated to ground shipment only.
The easiest way is ups ground and the cheapest way is fedex ground/home delivery.
Tape the terminals and tight pack them in boxes.

500 batteries, if you are a shop /service with access to a dock or lifting gear (fork lift etc) a gayloard on an ltl may be easier for you.

Fedex charges by girth, not weight so putting together a shipment of 20 12×12×18 boxes costs less than four 50"cubes

Regardless of method they'll need to be marked as lion batteries and shipped via ground transportation.

If your looking for truck transportation (ltl) there's a few in the business side threads listed, and look up uship. A pairing service for drivers and shippers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:59 am 

I agree with lostinlodos however for 500 batteries it will be cheaper to load in a gaylord or boxes and put on a pallet and ship. Also if you have no dock or forklift available a trailer with a liftgate could be used. Commercial address is always cheaper when it comes to freight if your not a business with a commercial address the shipment can always be dropped of at the carriers terminal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 am 

I am en ebay seller of laptop parts. I see scrap places only pay around 70 cents. On ebay they are selling lots of 30-40 around 80 dollars with 19.99 shipping. So I want to sell on ebay. My question is what size box since they go by size is best. I can sell lots in any size but I want the best shipping cost available to the buyer. I was thinking staying in the 30 to 40 per lot unless anyone has better suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

19.99 is the common ebay rate for priority mail Large flat rate box shipping.

2 issues though shipping that way.
First you're breaking two usps regulations a) all batteries go ground (priority is consumer air) regardless of type, b) externally (you) 1-3 lithium batteries ber box and internally (them) 1-5 lithium batteries per transport at a time.
Both those issues come with up to hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines per violation (so 20 batteries is 20 air violations and 17 battery violations and $250k priority mail misuse fine).

2 federal law. Cant ship rechargeable batteries by consumer air. And that's a per item violation so jail and fines.

Will you get caught? Probably not; i get orders with lion and nicad batteries via priority mail all the time. But if just one battery goes bad and they all explode in the belly od a passenger jet, the jet crashes. You have postal fines, federal and lawsuites from all the hurt/dead's families.
Not kool.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

My suggestion? Look up fedex onerate box rates, vs standard ground weights.
Onerate can ship delayed ground for content exceptions (like batteries).
I can't do the rates vs distance measurements for you but Chicago to LA and Dallas to Boston gives you two extended distance measurements for averages.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:44 pm 

I see on fedex they have a hazard surcharge I am confused by this will this apply to me?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. It varies by material and weight girth etc. But a quick run on the shipping calculator will tell you the average rates. With ebay, just ask the buyer to pay the shipping. Fedex is one of the shipping options