Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Post subject: 1986 computers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:03 pm 

i found an old ibm convertable and an epson modem unit (computer) any value?

Post subject: Re: 1986 computers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. How much depends on date and build options.
As a computer anywhere from $25 to mid hundreds.
As scrap anywhere from low 20s to around 100 again depending on the buildout.
With the full 640k, ram in the expansion and a drop in replacement 8086 you can do well sales or scrap with the cpu and gold pin dip memory. If it was hacked, meaning upgraded at all, it could be even better. I’ve seen some where the 2nd floppy drive was was replaced with a CC tape deck. More recent updates even adding a half height 10MB hard drive. Very few of them are actually stock as even new ibm was customising them to order to a small degree.

The modem is best as a collectible. As scrap it’s probably peripheral.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:02 pm 

epson modem is a h107a data terimal px8 the ibm is a 5140

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

From scanning the various order numbers I have the convertible (m5140) had 16 configurations from iBM, 14 of which were purely ram. One used two controllers for I/o instead of single, and one is listed as -n, which at that time was their internal use something different designation.
A working stock fully loaded convertible with 640k ram, dual I/O, and the speech card or monitor card installed could fetch $250-500 depending on the OS. Having the CP/M disks is vital to the value and a die-hard willing to pay top price will verify the disks as authentic on a modern drive to look for the dummy tracks. It came with PC-DOS on Rom originally. PC Shell was wicked though. Icons in DOS.

The other issue is later models swapped dip sockets for sim slots. And the sim ram cards are comparatively worthless (silver/tin ram)!

Generally the value runs $75-$150 if it powers on and posts.
Here’s where things get tricky.
The earliest of these had back stock white ceramic gold cap 8080s dated from 78-82. So you’re nearly at $12 scrap, or $10-$15 ebay on a dead cpu alone.
Add gold leg ceramic ram chips (go as AMD ceramic) and the CMOS and ROMs, mostly socketed, you probably have another $25-$35 in scrap. The heavy board as a large socket board. The controller cards for the two floppy drives. You start to wonder on the gamble of dissecting it; especially if it’s been upgraded since then. There’s value there either way.
As a final note, as a door stop it will net you $50+ on a good day.

The modem, unless you can test it yourself it’s a collectible; worth less than $5 doa. And generally you would need to call in and out against the unit with a test system over an non-balanced external line to test the conversion quality.
Very few are worth the effort to test them.