Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:39 pm 

There's a song in there somewhere, but there really isn't a wrong place for gold to be found. As long as the right tools, safety precautions, personal safety gear, forethought and an inquisitive nature leading one to obtain it correctly and safely. Then perhaps, one might proceed. Will you strike it rich? In many instances, no. But it can be fun and rewarding just the same.

What am I talking about? Well, it's the #### (rhymes with mule) pods and other brands of disposable nicotine delivery devices (Vapes). Yes, some, but not all of the contacts used in the various brands of Nicotine e-cigarette devices will have gold plated or sputtered contacts.

A relative of mine uses the #### (rhymes with mule) pod disposable e-cigarettes. About a year and a half ago, I asked him if I could look at the "pod". What I saw, appeared to be gold plated contacts inside each disposable pod. I asked him if he'd save those for me instead of throwing them away. He agreed.

A while back, I saw one of MooseScrapper's videos, and he confirmed what I originally thought to be true over a year ago. That the plating on the contacts inside these pods was indeed, gold.

My relative eventually dropped by several weeks ago and left me with a 1 gallon plastic bag with all of the pods he'd saved.

So I took some time, a lot of time and scrapped them all out.

Before I go any further, understand, this is NOT a how-to, nor is it an instructional reference. Nicotine is a very toxic chemical and happens to be in a very concentrated form inside these pods. If you don't smoke or vape, I do not recommend taking apart these pods. The concentrated Nicotine liquid is easily absorbed thru your skin, eyes and mucus membranes. Protective eye wear is a must. This juice is easily sprayed or misted when opening the pods.

Even if you do smoke or Vape, getting this concentrated Nicotine liquid onto your skin, into your eyes and/or mucus membranes will expose you to very high levels of Nicotine.

Despite the fact I've been vaping for several years, after I was thru with my endeavor of disassembling the pods, my heart rate was up considerably. And I exercised considerable caution, wore all manner of safety equipment.

I am not in any way advocating or suggesting anyone attempt to do this. And should you decide to do so, the risks are all yours to deal with.

Excessive nicotine in the human body can kill you. And you could be exposing yourself to far more Nicotine thru disassembly of the pod and collection of the contacts than you'd ever get smoking a cigarette or vaping.

With that out of the way, what did I find.

To start with, the pair of contacts from each pod, washed and dried, tipped the scales at .075 grams up to .085 grams per pair. This was from a random sampling of 10 pairs of contacts. Six sets of pairs came in at .080 grams a pair, three sets of pairs came in at .085 grams a pair, and one pair came in at .075 grams.

In the end, wound up with 30.120 grams of cleaned, dried contacts. I used .080 grams as an average weight per pair of contacts from the pods and divided that into 30.120 grams total weight, to discover I had scrapped 376.5 pods. This process took 4.5 hours.

Was it worth it? I have no idea, I don't care. This is a hobby for me, not a get rich quick scheme. I was curious what the outcome would be, and honestly, I still don't know since I have no idea as to the purity of the gold, the thickness or amount of gold on each pair of contacts.

Anyway, included are a few photographs.

As I stated before, this information is purely for entertainment and should not be attempted by anyone.

Enjoy,

RFIII

Attachments:
IMG_1958.JPG
IMG_1958.JPG [ 3.29 MiB | Viewed 4210 times ]
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG [ 2.79 MiB | Viewed 4210 times ]
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1946.JPG [ 2.81 MiB | Viewed 4210 times ]
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1936.JPG [ 2.88 MiB | Viewed 4210 times ]
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 4210 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Way to go.

Do use extreme caution. It’s no joke the premise of assassins using nicotine FROM a CIGARETTE and some water as a deadly toxin! It’s not just in the movies.
Use chemical resistance gloves. Goggles, and I’d suggest a breather with an ACTIVE filter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am 
Site Admin

As for math. 30 grams at the plating standard of 1/20th at 85% spot is $38.5
That’s Apx $8.50 per hour.

Assuming you go the next step and refine the contacts into gold.