Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:57 am 

I have not yet delivered a load to Boardsort since (he-they) began buying whole towers, breakdowns, networking equipment, etc., so I still have questions as to classes for some items.
Previously I had acquired some Brocade networking, various routers and access points, which I had dismantled for the boards, as Boardsort did not buy the whole unit at the time.
Here is a photo of a Dell PS 6210 unit, actually four units on one pallet. As you can see, each unit has a pull out power supply (with the chrome handle) on each side of the external LAN ports. These are simply oversided lowgrade power boards, weighing ten or 15 pounds each, just the usual, except for several broad flat blade gold connectors on the insertion end. Of course there is a main board, and maybe a backplane board as well.
Each of these four units will weigh about fifty pounds, for a total weight of about 200 pounds as pictured. Obviously the shipping cost would be prohibitive as a unit. However, in a self-delivered load, a few units could be added to an already profitable load, without really incurring any extra expenses.
Here is the critical question: are the units pictured here graded as "networking" at 39 cents per pound, or as "whole power supply" at 15 cents per pound, or should the power supply be pulled to sell whole separately, and the other networking boards removed from the metal shell of the main box?

Attachments:
0-0ps6210.jpg
0-0ps6210.jpg [ 128 KiB | Viewed 4121 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:45 am 

Honestly you would be better to break those down. I am thinking there is a dual socket MB in those.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Your power supplies are “doubles”
Rack supplies for inter eat use (in a machine) come in 5 sizes

Single: long skinny rectangle and not worth any effort (rarely aka half post)

Double: Two singles on a sled in a cage. Also called a brick.
Wide double: like yours. A brick with extra thermal cooling (aka air brick). Only worth opening half the time. Some have elaborate cooling, some don’t. If it’s easy, take a peek. If not move on.

Quad: four singles on a sled in a cage. These are worth removing the shell to lop off the gold connectors and hack off some copper tubing. (Aka block or post)

Double quad: 8 units. Very rare. Aka box. Worth opening up for gold pins and copper. Have massive cooling units.

Inside. Definitely worth pulling apart. Main board. Potentially socketed processors. Memory.
Boards do need to be unscrewed from sleds and trays though.

And boardsort buys the scrap metal from them now so no reason not to break down if you’re hand delivering.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

If you remove the boards and leave the power supplies In you’ll get probably get power supplies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 pm 

I have a habit of talking so much that the simple question gets overlooked. Based on what is shown on the pallet, with the given manufacturer and model names/numbers, would that be graded as networking at 39 cents per pound, with nothing removed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

No. Even if they were though it would be a good idea to remove items from these.

The value difference Is huge.