Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 pm 

Palladium prices climbing higher than gold, and seems to be either still climbing or at least considerably stable. Mlcc are most abondant in palladium so if palladium climbs even higher yet, is there a possibility for a mlcc category here on boardsort? If not, then can anyone provide some recovery amounts? If I have just over an ounce of mlcc, what's a window range of their resale value/ recovery amounts. It sure does take a while to gather that many, but other than eBay, I can't really find anywhere to sell an ounce of mlcc. I really should probably use my context clues and realize there just simply is not enough of the good stuff in them to be sorting the little shits out. Lol

And

So if I'm understanding things correctly, my ceramic IC chips like these Intel and the ones with the little window are considered IC chips and fall together with these little plastic lightwieght ICs? Should there be a category divide? Or is there a difference and I'm just missing it.

I ask because I busted some open and my ceramic have clearly visible gold wiring and such. The plastic, nothing gold colored as far as I can see, but copper instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:07 am 
Site Admin

All ICs look very similar inside. Specific to the DIP style, many that have a window...->
EPROMS are nearly identical to a standard rom. The UV photo addition is lost to the added weight of the window.

The difference between plastic and ceramic is package (shell/case) weight.
If they were to sort them plastic ICs would likely be slightly higher than current rate and ceramics slightly lower. But then they would also NEED to sort out ceramics with uv windows. Which would drop considerably. And then you start sorting by pins for nickel, silver, tin... ... ...
they have a sweet spot for balance the way it is.

In reality I doubt even boardsort gets enough IC quantity on a daily input to sort plastic and ceramics into the necessary three categories to make. Separated plastics are definitely worth more but refinery (and sourced to) weight requirements are the same sorted or not. So they will be sending out the ceramics, at lower value, almost as often and be sitting on back stock of plastics for a considerably longer period than current. Given how many more would be needed and the space it would require—not a wise business decision at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:16 am 
Site Admin

You answered the first question yourself.

Be cautious with ebay on selling scrap for PM value. You WILL get hit a few times with Negs when they Melt it and don’t get what YouTube told them.
“I used six gallons of acid and dumped your 2lbs in and only got a few grains...sold me junk...lier...[blah blah]”!!!! Went on for two pages in the email with comments about my, uh, little one turning green and my mother and something about herpes: lmao

So make sure you have enough positive feedback to ride out the few dunces.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:08 am 

MLCC on eBay = $50 lb. no problem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:51 am 

Thanks for the insight