Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:32 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:13 am 

What is the best way to make money off the used printer ink cartridges I've been saving for a little while now? I've been told there are many buyers for used cartridges, but I've never looked into it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Well... there’s a few ways.
You can turn them in at many office stores for a credit: usually $1 or $0.50.

You can sell them. There’s dozens of empty ink cartridge buyers on the internet. Most offer free shipping and a few cents to a dollar for cartridges.

You can strip the wire and/or contacts. For BoardSort The tiny gold contacts if cleanly cut can do with gold fingers (you need enough to make at least a few ounces so they can actually pay you). The headers with just a gold set of contact stripes on plastic can go with peripheral. Unfortunately the gold laminate wire is still mixed wire. See the gold laminate sticky.

Many yards (especially large ones) will buy them at some low or shred level if bagged and sorted.

You can refill them. I don’t suggest that though. I’ve never done it myself and I’ve had BRANDED high grade refills, refurbs, fail and leak. A quick way to trash your printer.

Ultimately you could recycle them. Just about every office and electronics store has a bin or desk to turn them in to.

On the other side TONER cartridges no matter how small can be resold easily.

Key note: if you ship ink cartridge please put them in a water proof bag first. Not a sandwich bag. There’s no P in mail. Don’t let your cartridges add some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:57 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Well... there’s a few ways.
You can turn them in at many office stores for a credit: usually $1 or $0.50.

You can sell them. There’s dozens of empty ink cartridge buyers on the internet. Most offer free shipping and a few cents to a dollar for cartridges.

You can strip the wire and/or contacts. For BoardSort The tiny gold contacts if cleanly cut can do with gold fingers (you need enough to make at least a few ounces so they can actually pay you). The headers with just a gold set of contact stripes on plastic can go with peripheral. Unfortunately the gold laminate wire is still mixed wire. See the gold laminate sticky.

Many yards (especially large ones) will buy them at some low or shred level if bagged and sorted.

You can refill them. I don’t suggest that though. I’ve never done it myself and I’ve had BRANDED high grade refills, refurbs, fail and leak. A quick way to trash your printer.

Ultimately you could recycle them. Just about every office and electronics store has a bin or desk to turn them in to.

On the other side TONER cartridges no matter how small can be resold easily.

Key note: if you ship ink cartridge please put them in a water proof bag first. Not a sandwich bag. There’s no P in mail. Don’t let your cartridges add some.

As always, thank you for the advise!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

My personal suggestion is to sell them online to a cartridge buyer. (Not a sales or auction site)
On the premise that I’d have to drive to a store and recycle them in a bin after taking the time to remove the near valueless gold contacts and gold wire; even if I get royally screwed and don’t get paid... it’s still not a loss. And 9:10 I get my payment... eventually.

I don’t advocate you buy 5000 pounds of unsorted cartridges and try to sell them. But for ones you go through yourself consider a buyer actually paying you a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
My personal suggestion is to sell them online to a cartridge buyer. (Not a sales or auction site)
On the premise that I’d have to drive to a store and recycle them in a bin after taking the time to remove the near valueless gold contacts and gold wire; even if I get royally screwed and don’t get paid... it’s still not a loss. And 9:10 I get my payment... eventually.

I don’t advocate you buy 5000 pounds of unsorted cartridges and try to sell them. But for ones you go through yourself consider a buyer actually paying you a bonus.

Thank will be my first attempt. Thanks again!