Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:45 pm 

still new at this. I have a few low grade power boards laying around. I was wondering if i stripped the board down to the capacitors and resistors, would the board still be low grade or would it pay less or nothing at all?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

There’s a point where boardsort won’t willingly pay for something. I’m not sure you can reach a point where they won’t accept it for free though.

As I’ve discussed elsewhere ultimately the bare board (or an unfinished blank) still has some minor recovery. Even without value. Excluding prototyping and bread board: The board is a plastic polymer. Often with a wood resin or glass weave. And one or more layers of electrically conductive material. Stamped holes also have metal. What that metal is determines any value. Gold blanks like ram have value. nickel, silver, tin..., do as well.
But copper and lesser metals... the board has lost its value blank because the final stage of recovery costs more to recycle than the materials’ values. Even in low grade boards the recycling process is, in bulk, able to offset the loss on the last level.

I harvest all my midgrade boards nearly bare. And some low grade boards. As I can sell the scrap components and use what works in other projects. But I bring blank, and near blank boards to my local yard. Regardless of weight, they charge me $0.01 to recycle them for me. They just add them to the copper shred recovery pile. So again the issue of bulk offsets the losses for them. Luckily they pay out for some of what I remove, at much higher rates than the 2č per lb they would pay for a low grade board.