Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am

Post subject: Re: intel i-5
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

CX2870-1409
That model has an average used sale from $70-$100
So two could cover the purchase price (or be close)!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Optiplex 745, 755, 760, 780, & 7010
Lap top's are Dell Latitude 5510, E5510, E5570 & E5530 & Inspiron 1300 & 1501
Toshiba Satellite 2250CDT

In order
$45-75
$50-$80
$30-$60
$50-$75
$75-$125

$25-$75
$25-$75
$150-$300
$40-$80
$25-$75
$10-$30

No recent used sales

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:37 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Quote:
Optiplex 745, 755, 760, 780, & 7010
Lap top's are Dell Latitude 5510, E5510, E5570 & E5530 & Inspiron 1300 & 1501
Toshiba Satellite 2250CDT

In order
$45-75
$50-$80
$30-$60
$50-$75
$75-$125

$25-$75
$25-$75
$150-$300
$40-$80
$25-$75
$10-$30

No recent used sales

That is working condition right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Working sold as used.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:14 am 

Thanks. That was what I found when I checked on ebay recently sold items...none. However, when I went to pick up my measly pallets of 9 units, after not being able to bid in the live time part, where the 18 to 25 unit pallets went for just at $2 per unit, of the OptiPlex, I talked to a knowledgeable gentle man who had bought a small pallet unit the preceding month , of police department towers, which had no harddrive, but worked great once he put a hard drive in. He then sold a couple of those units as working, locally, for a couple hundred bucks, after removing the police department tracker.
I have stripped fifteen of the units I bought: two were the little towers about the size of a toaster, weighing only a few pounds. I have kept them for now. I will post a new thread, listing models and recycling values per boardsort payout list. Of course, as expected, none of my units had hard drive, about a third had no CD or DVD units, and three had no power supply, and only four had any memory or finger cards. Oh, on my mixed lots, not a single intel I-5 processor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

It happens. To everyone.
Better than 50lbs of phones pulled out of the water I bought. That the seller forgot to mention came with free sewage. That stank something fierce!

Don’t worry. I put the whole box in a bag and took it to the bin at Best Buy poor Best Buy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:46 am 

I've been doing this a long while and if there's some free advice I can give to anybody looking to do this: If you're speculating at all, you might as well be buying a lottery ticket. Meowpher pretty much nailed my sentiment exactly.
Granted, sometimes you have to spend a little to make a little, especially if business is slow, and maybe you get a few things worthwhile to sell locally or on Ebay, which is a nice bonus, but unless this is purely hobby and not a money making venture, prepare to not be in it for the long haul.
I've stated this before I'm sure, but if you focus on getting material for nothing or next to nothing, you'll never really have to do any kind of profit analysis to figure out you're making money pretty handily.
Why waste time bidding on junk that you cant usually see in person, only to find out you have to waste a day picking it up, wasting all kinds of gas and realizing you spent $120 or whatever on a $25 truck load of scrap tin?
While it is cool to find something interesting, by the time you've invested all kinds of time and money into these lots, just seems like a wasted effort.
If this is your jam, I apologize for sounding crass. Maybe this is your only option in your part of TX that isn't that populated, I have no idea.
I read these posts and get frustrated for the posters, because getting stuff for nothing is still very much do-able, quite easy in fact, and more profitable that messing with auctions, buying and flipping stuff you find on craigslist, etc.
Just put yourself out there and let it be known you take electronics. People will call you all day.
I just recently cleared out a 7k square foot warehouse of parts from an old computer shop. The guy contacted me through a person who does home clean-outs that I've been dealing with for ages and gives me stuff he finds. Win-win for us both, he doesn't have to pay to get rid of it. Anyway, I'll make money for a year or more through simple word of mouth, and the best part is: nobody was bidding against me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:01 am 

The lot I picked up with the scanners is one lot of several others I have bought that I will pick up all in the same day. Computers is not the only thing I mess with electronics is what post on boardssort.

If you look up my previous post about gaming machine MB’s those are an hour drive from me. At 81 boards that are high telco, those boards are a hair over 1lb each yep I’ve got my max bid in at $160. If I get it for that good for me if not o well, maybe next time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:47 am 

I agree with Thearchivebooks : free is great, bidding on unverified lots is risky, and gambling on the unknown is sometimes fun, unless it costs you.
I usually inspect in person, and if a gayloard is covered with plastic conveyor chain, or sock filters, or apparent garbage, which no one is bidding on, I I cannot rock the gaylord with my 250 lb + bulk, I figure there is sufficient metal to risk a bid at scrap iron prices, which in my area is about 5 cents per pound. Occasionally that pays off handsomely, other times, just recover my expense. But, as rdw1121 mentions, usually it is several pallets. Having been playing the auction game, I usually can spot a small item, a brass valve new/unused that will eventually sell for a hundred bucks or so, or sometimes a couple hundred pounds of obsolete brass plumbing mixed in with plastic and iron and miscellaneous. When there are knowledgeable buyers, who have a need for the merchandise, sometimes the bid I put in for material at scrap value of $20 bucks sells for over a thousand at the auction, at which time I am happy I did not deprive someone who needed or could use the material.. And, sometimes there are a few control boards mixed in with machinery parts and scrap.
I ready my boards for Boardsort, and when I get in the neighborhood of 500 pounds of peripheral or better boards, I load up, add in the low grade and mid grade boards, power supplies, etc, which will pay the gas for the 605 mile one way trip to Cleveland, deliver my load, then stop off at a couple of rock hunting locations, and return home with several hundred pounds of Kentucky Geodes, fossil plates, and rock specimens. Maybe my next delivery in a couple weeks, I can stop off at Flint Ridge and collect Ohio Flint.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 pm 

The reason I don’t personally inspect the lots is because I have full time job working 40 to 60 hours a week. Some of these lots like the two I picked up today the first one was 4 hrs one way the second would have been 3-1/2hrs one way, but I caught it on the way back and it paid off pretty well. I paid $18 for the lot and when I got there they gave me another 6 printers and 10 late 90’s computers from another storage facility just to get rid of them.

I will agree it is a bit risky bidding blind, but I base my bids for computers on the MB’s since I know what most of them weigh. If i can see the back of them to where I can see if the have GF cards I add a little more to my bid. Server equipment I will gamble a little more on if they have good pictures to where I can count them.

All in all you have to understand there is risk its just like the stock market. If you cant afford to loose it don’t risk it......its that simple.