Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

Post subject: Re: Laptop grades
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm 

A question of course is next, where does the value lie? Lost, have you ever sold any of these since at one time you said anything Apple had higher value and do you think these have collector value. Since these are special editions and have faster processors for the time, if that made a difference or were too many of this type made, which made them just run of the mill items.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Well. The base price for these individually is around $100-$250.
Collecting Apple (and selling to collectors) is like 5th generation+ video games systems
There’s so much that modifies the base values. Colour. Edition. Features. Add on items. Quantity of original parts.
Ebay is an easy outlet to grab $100-$150 each and just walk away.
I’ll point out lots of collectors start there because the prices in these categories are so low.

Here’s where the strangeness starts. And I’ll use the Sega Saturn as my base because it’s my favourite system and one I’ve now collected nearly every model of. It’s also in the same price range starting around $100 in decent condition.

So the collector can buy one on ebay for low prices.
Pop it open. Verify how many components are original based on parts lists and I’d numbers etc.
Capacitors are common replacements.
Replaced new capacitors: That increases consumer value. It decreases collection value.
A collector will pay more or the same for a dead unit with 100% original parts over a working one with newer replacement parts.
On the other hand, a working one with replaced original parts (from a donor unit) is worth much more than the base value.
And these of your models I’ve see. Trade in the $300-$500 range.
The downside is these are private sales and take time.
Anyone really in that price range is going to be found at trade shows and meetings etc. They will sit down with you and take it apart. Spend time looking up parts. Running ID numbers. Etc.
Look at the extremes. 100% working and nearly completely new components will drop something like this to the sub-$50 level. 100% original (or era) working complete with all accessories,box, and packaging can easily pass the $1000 mark.

Let’s focus on that a moment.
Have the original OS disc? Add $25-$50.
Box? Another $25-$50. Box and original packaging? Now add $100+ to the box rate.
Manuals? Apple sold separately guide books? Spec sheets.
They sold a backpack carrier for this. Add another $100+
Double if it matches the unit colours!
Have the little key chain? The one that’s $20 alone on ebay? Toss it in the set and $50 to the price. The keychain was only given out to the first few hundred buyers. Matching external components (same colour)? Keep padding that tag!
You see where this is going.

None of this is easy. Which is why so many people are on ebay.
The old tag still fits. EBay is the the world’s garage sale.

Short answer:
On the low end your in the $100-$200 range. Probably lower end but you’ve got a hockey puck to go with it.
On the high end of what’s in your photo alone you’re in the realm of $300ish each.
I have no idea why I brought up the Sega. I was going somewhere with it when I started this post but was interrupted and lost that train.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:03 am 

I got these from Rappahannock Community College over 12 years ago with the last file date of Oct. 2006 (these were made in 2000). These look to be staff laptops with all original parts working but both have larger harddrive and more ram than specs I found online so may have been ordered that way. These also have Dvd drive and firewire port to go along with faster processor speed hence tag of special. With what you are saying I need to research collector get togethers to find my collectors though I did find one forum with last comment dated 2016 saying these were hard to find. So looks like something to do when I get some free time and want to take a possible road trip. The only issue I can see is the batteries don't hold charge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 am 
Site Admin

That’s normal. Do NOT replace the battery if you are targeting the collector’s market. The few times I’ve seen them at swap shows the ones with the matching colour backpacks always went for major money. 4 digits.
Those backpacks can get into mid 3-digit range on ebay.
But normal trade is above ebay but 2x+. $500 range is not uncommon.
The ones you have are “stuffed”. That term /May/ help a bit on less accessible forums.
Start with Reddit. Multiple Apple collectors’ subs.

For me personally, With game systems, give me time at your table or booth to take the shell off and run parts ids and if, IF, I buy it will be worth your while. At collectors gatherings that’s quite normal. I have no problem dropping $500 on an A series 002 genesis; or A or B series mega drive if it’s original. I’ll give you ten bucks if the capacitors have been swapped with newer radio shack ones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am 

By the way thanks for your input as always it is a great help. Yeah, from the little research I have done this evening I actually had one of the collectors on you tube mention $250 on one that he had bought a year and half ago and it was not of the special edition series. So the values are climbing as they become less available. The shame is I don't have the boxes and cds that they came with. But these do have the original 9.1 os.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 am 
Site Admin

Being a fair candidate to say so as one of both:
There are only two brands in history that have a rabid collector’s market where people not only resort to violence but outright murder for.
Sega
And
Apple

The fan base is beyond bizarre for both.