Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

Post subject: Dio pci Card grade?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 am 

Hello hopefully everyone is off to a good weekend. I recently got a bunch of PCs from a medical facility and it has these pci cards that I believe are a 8bit DIO controller cards. In order to remove them the easiest was to pull the board minus the bracket so I am just wondering what grade these would fall into as they have a lot going on. If chips, mlcc’s gold pins ect. Thanks for any help

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 3.65 MiB | Viewed 2989 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dio pci Card grade?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:08 pm 
Reputable Seller

Those should fetch high grade telecom because you have good IC density across the entire board and the gold fingers. Lostinlodos could probably answer if trimming the fingers will not impact the grade of the board.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Trimming fingers is always risky. This is a highly populated low quality PCB substrate. While I would trim the fingers and still call it high telco I can’t guarantee it won’t hurt on this count.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 pm 

Thanks! I figuared they were a decent card but wasn’t sure exactly were they would fall. Right now I’m pulling the brackets and just sorting them out. I may trim one and see exactly how much a lose or make but they FEEL heavy so we will see. I’ll have them torn down tonight and I’ll post some more pics.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:10 am 
Site Admin

You have two options with this design of PCB. Which is about as low value as it gets.

You can ask Chris about it. Trim or don’t trim. Doing so sets your board grading in stone.

You can trim the connector off and hope the person who takes the order in and processes it is having a good day.

This is experience on my part. If you stripped the ICs off I’d give you junk rate. A penny per pound. The board is heavy because it’s literally 99% plasticised cellulose. And a thin copper layer.
Or, in organics recycling it’s considered plasticised wood. And contaminated at that.
The value here is the finger and Low end ICs.
The more valuable quad bga has me personally willing to trim. But I’m human.
But I’m human. I make mistakes and sometimes things just are what they are regardless of my being correct.
Chris and I have had some interesting discussions over the years on fence sitters. And you’ll find I’ve changed some views over the years based on the realities of commodities recovery over actual science.

I do buy such junkable boards in my own business if your an existing customer or bring something else with it.
Because I toss them in a brute bin and send them in to boardsort, trimmed, twice a year. The week of New Years and the week of Valentine’s Day. Hoping whoever takes it in is happy on that day.
=)*

Obviously I pay less than Chris does. A LOT less. I only have three classes: low, high, and WTF.
I’m more interested in repairing and tinkering than scraping.
The risk is yours to take. Hint: Chris doesn’t spend much time here on the forums unless someone emails him a link. I take the risk. And have lost on occasion. But more often than not trimming these boards works in your favour.
Just don’t bet the house on it.