Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:36 pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Help??????!!!!!!!

For the first time in 30+ years i ran into an obstacle one I can’t get out of on my own.
I have roughly 100lbs of NiCad Cylinders. All removed [‘and cleaned] from larger battery packs. All taped excessively. So far I have been turned away/tossed out of line at Home Depot. Lowes, and best buy.
I’ve already filled up the battery drop cylinders at ever rest stop within 100 miles. Which don’t appear to be being picked up at the moment.

Anyone else find other non-tech companies willing to take this stuff for free?
I tried Walmart but they only take 5lbs at a time. And sams, I’m a member, takes 10pbs per month.
My fear of ALL non-alkaline batteries well documented here.
Please help. Teracycle wants $50 and green disk is nearly the same!

My primary yard that pays for this stuff is closed since it was destroyed earlier this week by the psycho storm.
I’m scared to death of rechargeable batteries and want this stuff gone yesterday

Please!
Anyone in the Midwest-planes states let me know if you know how to get rid of this.
I’m about ready to take this to the outskirts of a friend’s farm and burry it. Not green and environmentally friendly but that’s how afraid of batteries I am.
For reasons beyond just fear this needs to be out of my house ASAP. Some are corroding. Beyond the acetylene and oxygen and nitrogen and propane i use, all in internally stored materials tanks:
a senior family member is on medical oxygen.
I openly admit my lack of understanding of non-lithium battery fires but I’m truly worried and want this shite gone!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:29 pm 

Well, I had about a quarter ton of nicads to dispose of recently, and dealt with all the problems your describing,mind you I'm not that big of a environmental alarmist, though I'm adamantly opposed to dumping in fields and streams, I've seen and suffered the consequences of that kind of pollution, but when I'm put between a rock and and a pile of trash, I'm not above using dumpsters and landfills

All that said I dropped my nicad nightmare at my local low class shreddable yard, At least I know they're not sitting around carroding in a residential neighborhood, steel recycling is about all they're good for,

chemically, it's just a potassium hydroxide electrolyte, caustic, corrosive, not good for skin, leaves chemical burns, but it's water soluble, and should be simple to neutralize with simple acids,

If you wanted to be certain that nobody could be injured by any leaking cells, I'm sure you could find a way to safely neutralize the strong base before dropping the (then chemically inert) metal bodies in the shred yard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Another user emailed me and offered to pick it up. And did. From a ways north of me but the big yard they use is still active.

Cadmium is what bothers me about nicad. And the thought of that stuff leaching into the ground, not nice. I’m not a tree hugger but I am free conscious.
I won’t give up my truck but I don’t want anyone dying slowly because if something i could have prevented.

At least now it will become new chairs or something. ;)
My battery buying yard is basically a very old warehouse built old barn style. They were decimated by the storms. Leaving me with a few dozen lbs of nicad cylinders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to all in this great community!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 am 

hum didnt see this in time but heres what i did i summitted about 30 lbs or so of batteries and true low grade boards to one of those crappy ''cash4scrap'' places the ones that pay for shipping.and will strait up steel your shipment I THINK YOU know THE ones... LONG STORY SHORT
email i got back from them...

''they have deteremied that my shipment is not worth refining however be assured they will recycle it properly for me anyway''

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:57 am 
Site Admin

As a general FYI PSA

Unfortunately their idea of recycling properly is shipping it to Hong Kong. Knowing full well that inbound ewaste is currently 100% barred!
Not only do they screw you the seller; now some poor captain is stuck with it as well. Blocked from unloading it in most ports.

So it ultimately ends up in burning in the sun of sub-Sahara Africa or at the bottom of the ocean.

I’ll gladly ship my garbage low grade to this conspiracy (all 38 registered companies are under one ownership group), as long as they send me labels. Stupidity on their part. Knowing that PCBs are processed in the US by current 2018, law. But if they have a way around it I’m not sending it.