Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

KMT, was actually responding to jessad; who placed a lot of emphasis on gold.
Believe me when I say I wish there was more of an alignment with gold rates but the material just isn't there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:56 pm 

Seems like when gas prices go down copper follows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:28 pm 

New guy here. not new to scrapping, but new to eWaste scrapping. Copper is about 40% of where it was in 2011, gold is a little better than half of 2011 Prices. Just for MY reference... where were ewaste prices when Scrap metal prices were Rocking? Say Gold finger Ram? Telco? HDD Boards?
Thanks folks! I've learned a lot reading through theses forums. RT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:50 am 

Someone here with more experience will probably have a much better idea. But they were a lot better. I remember at some point after the prices peaked and were heading down 2012-2013 area. I first learned about ic chips and started pulling them off low grade boards from tvs microwaves air conditioners and such that I was scrapping anyway. I remember finding this site and seeing 5$/lb for them.(3.25$ now) Also in the mike the scrapper video on the home page, it lists prices for hdd at 10$ (currently 7$). Mixed ram at 11.50$ (I think it's 6$ now).
That video was posted in 2013 After the peak. But still good days to be a scrapper compared to now. So I wouldn't be surprised to see gold ram close to 20$ and hdd around 15$ during those peak days in 2011. If only I could get a ride to board sort with doc brown in the dolorian :) great Scott I would make a lot of money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:50 am 
Site Admin

I remember hdd boards @$11 not that long ago. 2015 gold ram passed $15 and large socket (mobos pegged to copper in general) passed the $2.89 mark. I'll pull old emails to see whar I sold for what back in late 2014 to give a year on eval.

As Chris is aware boardsort is my go too and cashforcomputer scrap is my balance guide.
[Edit] l'll follow this up separately [/edit]

Nationally non-premium boards are about half the early 2014 rate and the fall almost exactly follows copper prices;copper down from 3.60-3.80 to 1.30-1.80 and lg socket (the key peg for escrap) down 3.20-2.00 in a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:42 pm 

Thank You Both ! that gives me some idea how the metals market effects the price of this stuff. Thankfully I'm not doing this as a living, just a Hobby/Sideline. starting to sort through stuff I've broken down over the past few years, finding out it's not worth as much as I had thought BUT... it will all add up in the end. and I'm learning quite a bit from you guys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm 

I would have to look to see if i even have the old settlement receipts, but back 5 years ago when all the metals were going bonkers, I remember gold finger RAM in the $16-$17 range, Lrg Soc MB @ $3.95/lb, x486 chips @ $140/lb! Back then, they didn't actually have a hard drive board classification.

I have seen a few settlement payouts from other refiners, VERY roughly (and obviously depending on the type of boards) gold accounts for ~25%ish of the payout. That is why prices have been stagnant lately... gold has been up a little, but other metals are still at/near multi-year lows. :/

I have been to both Boardsort and CashForComputersScrap in person and met/talked to both owners. Both were very good experiences, and each place specializes in different aspects of e-scrap recycling. Thus the prices on certain items are a little different. Both Bruce and (I cant remember the CFCS's owners name) are very pleasant to talk to and both very knowledgeable. I prefer BS because they tend to pay better for the stuff that I have and they are a bit closer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Side note for the commodities crash. It's not the cause but the result of stagnant materials markets make it an unfortunate side effect.
When Carter put into action what lead to the metals changes in American coinage investors, including to-be president Reagan, had a massive overreaction. during his presidency Regan allowed the purchase and transfer of pre 1984 American coinage in bulk to the Chinese government in 1985 at then metal, not face, value. This included the export of the vast majority of pennys, 2 pence, 2 cent, 3 cent, nickel, disme/dime, quarter dollar and half dollar. With a 30 year hold on the stores. That expired end of last year. And the did as expected, melted them. It was enough materials influx to disrupt asian markets that, along with massive world-wide political instability tanked the Eurasian sub into disarray.

Do mind we're not talking hundreds or thousands or even tens of thousands of lbs. Millions upon millions lbs of coins. along with their stores of silver teals and European silver and copper.. China no longer is paying premium prices and has undercut our export values to India. There's no demand any more for prime American copper zinc magnesium or aluminium because they flooded the market with our own materials at a massive discount.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:32 am 

I've seen all different kinds of prices for boards, places paying dif for large socket boards, low grade and high grade (low grade being the socket 370 boards, high grade being socket 3,4,5,7 slot a etc, I've seen people paying more for some things, some people paying less for some thing than Boardsort, just who you know and people you meet. I think the min weight I was told to send a load to a refiner is 10,000 lbs, less for high grade stuff. The guys at Boardsort you can trust, it makes all the difference. Funny thing is as much and as often as I'm there I've never met Chris, I wouldn't even know what he looks like lol. IMO if you can afford to hold out I would, but if you need the money to buy more or need your space then gotta do what you gotta do. But these boards all go to a gold refiner, all of them. I don't know how much the gold refiner is considering nickel & copper prices. Of course it's part of the eventual process, but those metal prices have been low and gold and boards have been high and it had no bearing. Sell your crap stuff local, and ship in your good stuff. Even if you find people paying more, can you trust em? I've seen people do some shady stuff, get people into a lot of money on a load, lead them to believe they'll be bringing back $100k, then it doesn't work out but they're already thousands into another load, and people get people all the time like this. Trust is important, IMO price isn't everything. Freight shipping can be reasonable too. I process e scrap for two local metal scrap yards so if I needed to have anything shipped I have docks, but if you ship from a residence it can be a bit pricier. There may be a slight pick up in price, and of course it'll be hard drive boards and memory and cell boards, those are the highest gold concentrated items, any raise would show there first before anything, bet like I said before don't expect it until gold has been plus $1100 for more than a month, or spikes good real fast. I had a guy that has the e recycle yard here offer me 5000 lbs for $10,000, mixed mobo, tele, fingerboard, server boards of all kinds, no low grade or mid or anything. A year ago I would have done it in a heartbeat, now I'm scared too, if prices don't come up it'd be a waste. I was reading that for the long term gold is supposed to fall over the next couple of years, if it stands I don't know, but don't hold out too long, gold starts to dive and everybody starts selling board prices will sink. Get while the gettin is good. They're good people up there but they are also a business for profit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 pm 

I agree, in Business Trust is everything! as I've stated earlier I'm a Hobbyist scrapper and new to this site. But have owned my own Automotive service center for 22 years. 90% of the time Price is my last consideration of who I do business with and if I don't trust a company... I don't care what their pricing is, I won't do business with them, just as I will loose a customer if I loose their trust. I know "Price" is the jingle you put in your pocket, But "Value" is a much better Factor to consider. A wise man once told me... "if the Value exceeds the price by $.01 you will have a happy customer"
Honesty, Trust, Good Service all add Value to a transaction, This website and all the Talent and information on these forums... Pricless! I've yet to sell an ounce of e-scrap, But from what I've read on the forums about folks transactions with Boardsort, and the wealth of Info I've learned in just a few days pawing through forums... When I'm ready, Boardsort gets my Business! Thank You all for so freely sharing your Time and Knowledge. RT