Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Best I've seen is estimates of $1350 for q4 2016 for gold and worst is 990 so i doubt we'd see any flux in anything under class 2 boards (what board sort caps in the back plane category where gold is still a second or third consideration.
The problems with scrapping as a business investment comes into play with class 1 material: gold finger cards hard drive boards optical controllers etc and "prime" 1 gold ram, cell/pager/tablet boards. And processors.

If China starts dumping doubloons the gold world is in trouble but I, personally, don't see any reason they would.

Both China and Russia have the largest (richest deposits) source mines for rhodium in the world. It's why as a tech guy I cringe at the political dick measuring issues. It's not recycling I'm worried about, it's a cutoff of rhodium that could send tech prices through the ceiling and well into orbit and beyond. Think $1500 cell phones and $1000 raspberry pi motherboards. This already happened once for a two year span when the ussr/sssr dissolved. When those early brick bag cell phones went from $900ish -1500 in days. And the price of apple, ibm, and Atari computers doubled in a few weeks, before settling the following year.
Why do i bring this up? Because... the return value for the scrap won't Chang. Suddenly the escrap market crashes on everything but rhodium heavy material. So cell phone boards are suddenly $30-$40/lb well gold ram keeps dropping and anything less than that tanks.

What if the various price fixing methods in the TPP/TTP trade agreements weren't cut in the first round and Europe implemented the aluminium export restrictions. Suddenly! Low" and "mid" grade power boards are worth over $3-$5 a pound and gold destabilises.

Minimum changes we, as scrappers and recyclers take forgranted have such far reaching effects...!
So my point: don't hoard your material. One person sitting on 10 lbs won't effect anything (but you could gain, or loose, a lot of value). If 100, 1000... people hoard we're into the realms of possibility of affecting markets locally which will eventually cause issues nationally, and globally.
Boardsort isn't making $100 on that $11 pound of ram you sent them. Any you won't either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Cash for computer scrap follow up. Rather than tackle that post inline I decided to place it here.
Responding to other posts and following up on an email as well;
No idea may not be the best way to put it, but I personally feel any lost shipment is one too many. that said they've since (some time ago) sorted out issues out and as ive said more than once are another quality honest company.
Infact in 20+ years I've only come across two escrap companies in the nation that are HAPPY to take calls and discuss the finer points of materials. And they, boardsort and cashforcomputerscrap, happen to be neighbours!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 pm 

Prices are up!!!! Go gold go :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:50 am 

I have been to cfcs. (Not usa )and boardsort. Both are boss operations. I 100 percent recommend a business filed trip to both. About 40 minutes apart now. Both easy to find.

Loved the discussion. Alot to consider I never knew I should. Great info and tips. All well noted. Price watching now gets more technical. Good show mates. Bravo. Im smarter now.