Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:28 pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:42 pm 

Hey, I like blowing stuff up as much as the next guy, but blowing up a considerable pile of cold hard ducats seems reckless. That's Monopoly Guy levels of not giving a crap.
Thinking outside the "box", could make a Farraday Cage with enough conduit (600' seems more than worthy) and enough power/scrap metal? Throw in some insulation and you're thoroughly shielded, although the heat might be enough to actually burn down the block. But hey: a nice secluded place to do some Bitcoin mining?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:07 pm 

First, I am not an electrician; however, I have always heard that solid wire is less resistant than stranded wire, but stranded wire is easier to bend and unroll. With that in mind I don't see why it wouldn't work for running 220v/100 amps. Is it just one conductor 600' long or a bundle of 2, 3 conductors?

The power company just installed a service line for me on a piece of property and they ran stranded aluminum wire from the transformer to the pedestal. It looks like 3/8" in size so probably 3/0.

Seems like you have a much larger conductor that you need, but it's like hauling a small box in a dump truck