Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:49 am 

For the last couple weeks, everytime I access the forum, and click on a post, a full page ad pops up, most totally unrelated to the forum. Has there been a change in the site which allows these ads, or is it my browser is throwing them in? Sometimes they jump in as soon as I click a thread header, or a category, and also when I hover a finger over part of the test in a post. Just curious if anyone else is getting these. Oh, they do take over the icon, and I have to click on the side bar icon to exit the ad, which then reverts to the original page of Boardsort I was viewing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like an injection tool to me.

Is it only boardsort?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:34 pm 

Mostly Boardsort, as I tend to move the cursor over the topic I am reading, or hover over the touch pad. Most of the time, it misdirects me when I am clicking the category from the main menu, such as discussion or ID boards. But it also does it sometimes when I am click on a another icon for a site. Come to think of it, I sometimes click and have a couple pages behind the one I am viewing, if the browser is slow to load, so maybe this cheap HP stream has "holes" in the viewing page? Plus, sometimes, I hover a finger over the keyboard or touch pad while reading a post.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

It’s definitely not caused by the site itself. That leads to a few questions.
My first step would be to suggest you clear out (remove) any and all addons/extensions, and reinstall the ones you want from the official extensions site. Rogue updates do make it through at times without the developer or browser support knowing.

Second, is open the history tab, so a search for boardsort, and delete anything in your history with the name. That will kill any cookies and cache that could be corrupted or tampered with.

Finals, if the problem continues or comes back, you need to look at the OS. Malware, adware, etc.

Link injection is a common method for advert revenue theft.
Most cases you don’t realise it’s running. If that’s what you have… Either your computer is old/slow, or the injection tool sucks.