Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:04 pm 

Instead of starting two threads I figured would ask both questions in one.

1st - Is the price correct with low grade and mid grade both being $0.40 a lb? I ask as I've figured out the best size box / weight combo for the cheapest per pound shipping to boardsort. So I can use both types of boards as "filler" so to speak after a certain point.

I saw a video many years ago about cutting off the plugs from your electrical wire. In computer power cables for example the 3 prong male and the female end. I just can't remember why other than the 3 prongs are brass or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

The price is correct. Sorting is still required. Many classes will overlap from time to time.

Plugs can stay on or come off. It’s up to you. Gold pin ends go as connector ends. Break it down you have gold pins.
Deciding if the effort is worth it for you is a decision you have to make on your own.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:28 am 

The power cord male end can be cut off and then boiled in water to soften the plastic. Once they are soften just pull the brass out and it will have copper wire still attached. Cut the copper off and you will have a pile of brass and a pile of copper. The prongs that look tin/silver in color are brass also. There are few vids on YouTube about it. You just have to decide if it is worth your time or not

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quick note

Quote:
The prongs that look tin/silver in color are brass

Not always. Low end cables from the dollar store or walmart etc often use an aluminium tin alloy with a small bit of copper and a thin nickel core.

Always etch your metals first to check the underlying material. But if you can bend the blade by hand it’s not your standard brass. Brass plated steel connectors also exist. Especially from China and today, many low cost ones from Taiwan/Taipei.
The alloy ones are worth about 15c per pound clean. The steel ones are under a penny.