Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Post subject: Silver ram
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:17 pm 
Reputable Seller

If I remove ic chips from silver ram will boardsort still buy them as silver ram or downgrade them to something else?

Post subject: Re: Silver ram
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 am 

booskae wrote:
If I remove ic chips from silver ram will boardsort still buy them as silver ram or downgrade them to something else?

I'm not sure what it would downgrade them to, but yes, generally removing anything from boards will downgrade them.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am 

if you take the chips off the silver ram, you will get the IC chip rate for the chips and mid-grade for remaining board... silver ram has almost nothing on the board and the contacts are mostly aluminum, so they do not pay extra for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

I would leave it be as whole ram. But if you are adamant on stripping it along with the notes above. You get ic chips.
You can cut the finger off and silver/tin fingers go in the silver/tin ram rate class.
I've specificly asked abot silver/tin fingers before and silver wire contacts as well all go in silver/tin ram.

Stripped bare the remaining board will probably be low grade, not mid, despite being green you've stripped it.

Just to follow on with what mls said, with the exception of edo ram silver finger ram boards bare are generally one of the lowest quality "sandwich" pcbs. Brass posts with tin or lead traces.
If it's edo ram I'd put the full complete ram stick on ebay (as is). There's a good market. For potentially working edo sticks.
But if stripping edo bundle the boards together and keep them separate in your shipment. You may get peripheral for edo blanks (fingers attached) or more likely midgrade (without fingers).

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:09 pm 

oops... shoulda said the contacts are mostly tin, not aluminum... not sure why I put aluminum...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:45 am 

Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

I'll reiterate if edo, please don't strip them. Post them on ebay, Craigslist, anywhere! (or email me).
Edo ram was produced in extremely small quantities. Sticks cost a fortune back then, and are still of value today because many of those machines are still in use behind the scenes.
Working, with a proof printout from Dr Ram Dude (drraman.com or. Drram2.bin) and guarantee; 16MB sticks can still fetch $20 each. 128 and 256 modules crack 3 digits Or even 4 on 330MB or 384MB per stick when (almost unheard of) every cell bank is good.
Dead or unknown they tend to be 4x$1 to the $1 each range in any size.

This isn't about money, It's about keeping the technology in circulation.
EDO is one if the industrie's nightmares; short period of massive use with no surplus inventory.