Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Post subject: Laptops
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:11 pm 

I seem to be coming across a lot of Win XP-era laptops. Sometimes if they work and are complete it makes sense to sell them on eBay but most of the time I’d rather scrap them to get them gone.

Generally speaking, if complete, is it better financially to ship the whole unit? Seems like there’s so much time for very little weight in valuable items when you dismantle the whole thing. But I never remember to actually do the math on some to find out lol

Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on the unit.
Before the pentium II/K6 era it’s worth popping the base and looking for a socketed CPU. Many are.

From there forward it depends on the laptop. Some are totally worth it. Other, not really. And still others not at all.

Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:39 am 

Adding to what Lost has stated, of course, if it works, then keep it and sell it locally, or donate it to someone that could use it.
But, if it's all jacked up and you decide to scrap, sell as a complete unit if it's all there. I only ever disassemble laptops if they come to me without batteries, as it is relatively easy to pop a dead hard drive or a stick of RAM in there to make them "complete", which right now is getting $1/lb. So, a complete unit will give you say $5 per laptop (assuming on average laptops are roughly 5 pounds, some more, some less) as opposed to breaking it down into constituent parts. Granted, Boardsort has given laptop MB's their own category, finally, and pay more for them, but as far a return, complete units are the way to go.
With that said, itn't viable to ship these via USPS or UPS. You will never see a return that way. I normally wait until I have 1000 pounds or more and stick them on a skid with other stuff when I ship LTL to Ohio.
It is viable, however, to ship a bunch of nothing but laptop MB's, if you have the time to take them apart and there's no way you can get the complete category (i.e. missing battery, which is the hardest to replace, in my experience)