Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Post subject: Acid bath leftovers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:37 am 

Aftern soaking MEM RAM,Cell Phone,Logic,CD/DVD and other boards in acid all the little MLCC and mini IC and whatever else is on the boards falls to bottom of bucket it doesnt take long for the weight to add up. It is deffinately to much for me to sort through and organize.. What do i do with all these leftovers? Thank you
Also the finger censors on laptops ive noticed range from gold plated silver plated and copper plated do the gold plated ones go in with gold fingers or is there a different category

Post subject: Re: Acid bath leftovers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Admin

If you drain dilute and sort you'll get the most of what is left of that stuff
That said since you don't want to sort it you may be able to sell it as precious metals slag to a larger yard or a recycling out if you have enough
The other option if you're too low in weight to offset the seas for a refiner is to bottle it and sell it on eBay or A large yard

About finger sensors are you referring to the touch pad? Those have very little gold and most go as peripheral grade
Copper ones slip into mid grade

Post subject: Re: Acid bath leftovers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:56 pm 

To be blunt, if you don't know what to do with the left overs, you should not be putting the boards in acid. Nor should you be selling the toxic leftovers to anyone (unless it is a refiner who knows how to handle it). And what are you doing with the leftover acid? What about the fumes? I REALLY hope you are treating the highly toxic metal chloride waste correctly and not just pouring it down the drain...

I would NEVER recommend total depopulation of boards, especially with acid. If a buyer sees the acid residue, they will more than likely refuse to buy the boards. Also, the effort it would take to refine a mass of unsorted components is far greater than the returns for small scale refiners. The only viable method is pyro-metallurgy and you need volume for that.

Out of curiosity, why were you trying to depopulate the boards in the first place?