Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:04 pm 

Hi everyone,this Is my first post,but I`ve been on here learning a lot the last year or so.I have a question for you.I have a box full of Toshiba disk drives.These are 4in. long by 3in. wide.The board on the back,would that grade as a gold finger card?Is the front cover made out of SS?Is there anything Inside worth getting?I have been busy tearing down 9 gaylords of computers and have not taken the time to tear a disk drive down.Thank you for your time.Arlo

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'll start by jumping to the assumption that your talking about hard drives from the context?
Hard drives are a great place for lots of little payouts if you have a lot of them.
They're very easy to take apart , have a decent amount of al and a nice bit of gold.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:52 pm 

Lost,these are not the reg.hard drives.These say disk drive on the front and are very thin and much smaller then hard drives.I would post a pic,but have no way to do so.Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

The description says hdd, probably proprietary 3 inch drives.
Still, the basic mechanics of drives is the same across design. If you've got dozens, tens of dozens you'd make considerably more scrapping them. When you reach hundreds is where the time curve cuts into profits quickly.

Once you match the screws to bits for an electric driver they all come apart quite easily
Use a driver not a drill. And set the torque setting to 2. Most drivers do their number settings in 10 lb increments. You'll rarely need more than 20 flb.
Once you get the first one apart doing the rest is easy. I line them up 6 at a time on the bench and do them like this

In my order
Bottoms, pulling boards
Tops
Pop tops now
Magnet tops
Drive arms (can be Sharp so always my first internal removal)
Magnet bottoms
Connectors (gold pins) may pop in, may pop out. Find your directions D pop them with a number 2 standard screw driver and a good wack to the edge
Platters, hardest part as they want to spin. Again why I remove the arms first.
Pop the motors. They may be screwed in, and may be glued. If glued use a punch from the bottom and a hammer. One good wack and it's free.

6 drives at a time takes me about a minute and a half start to finish.
Once you find the best method and right tools you'll plow through them quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 pm 

Thank you for all your time.I have been buying computer that came thur the local schools.All these have had the hard drive removed.I spotted some boxes In a Gaylord and the were hards drives.Most were just reg.drives,about 75 were the hdd you were talking about.I will get at them when I have the time.Thanks again.Arlo