Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:33 am 
Site Admin

Ok I ran about a dozen that I could match up and it's as I thought; you've got a mess if a mix on those buttons. Alkaline silver mercury etc.
There's also a bunch leaking or about to leak.
First put on some gloves and separate anything leaking or bulging
That stuff needs to be gone ASAP. My suggestion is a $1.47 roll of duck tape from walmart. Get it in a nice flat long row and drop a line of tape down. Push hard. Pick up the line flip it over and tape it shut.
Bring it in person to the fire dpt; but NOT in, and basically say help.
You're a lithium burst away from a legitimate toxic mess.

Second; I've already talked to one buyer and am waiting for a reply from my second but I have two potential buyers for any non damaged silver batteries for you. One agreed and one I'm still waiting for confirmation to take all good non damaged buttons and sort them for you on reception. 20c-$2.50 per cell on the confirmed one

Third the fuses : the plastic ones will be nickel or silver plate and should go nickel #2
The tubes are mixed silver nickel and steel ones with different filaments.
More of a spread than I can do by a photo but a range of a quarter to around)3 per lb if sorted out by type. Per type.

Nicad, nimi etc I get 25c per lb as of Thursday but my buyers takes them as a gift of sorts to me. Under a high grade other category and isn't making anything on them. I feel bad sometimes because I think they may actually loose money on them. But I know they're hand sorted and Usa recycled.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:54 am 
Site Admin

I may be overly apocalyptic on batteries but I've been hospitalised more then once for various reasons on others stupidity or mistakes and twice by my own fault .
I don't play around with them . be they energiser or Dallas boxes or buttons or from a car.
I don't willingly buy them.
Anyone at boardsort will tell you the few I wind up with and send to them as for cell batteries I over tape over pack over pad etc. Ship ground.

It's a place, one of the few things in scrap, along with gases and other ignitables that I just don't play games.

Mixing a leaking mercury battery with a lithium solid battery explosion equals death. In the most literal of terminology.

Dry cell lithiums have an ignition flash of 2300•c . Enough to instantly vapourize the mercury content in the others creating a carbon mercury gas that will kill you in under a minute, quite painfully,you'll drown, in the blast radius and will cause irreparable harm if inhaled after the fact.
This is the first and probably only time I won't censor my comments but anything leaking or bulging get rid of it before your fucked and dead.
Batteries scare the hell out of me .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 pm 

Thank you so much for your help, support,and concerns. Maybe to put your mind at ease , the way the batteries are pictured are not stored like that. Each battery style/type is kept separate from the others

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Did I mention batteries scare me?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:26 pm 

Yes you made that very clear.
I read in an article that if the batteries says 3v they are not silver oxide. True??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:46 pm 

Lisa Yates wrote:
Yes you made that very clear.
I read in an article that if the batteries says 3v they are not silver oxide. True??

Those are lithiums

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:06 pm 

What can or should I do to help my sorting on the batteries and the fuses. Should I short the fuses by volt by size by filament and for the batteries how do I tell which is alkaline, silver,mercury?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:39 pm 

Short of having a XRF gun is there any way to positively identify different metals (nickel, silver etc)?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

The best way to sort batteries is by the number/letters printed on printed/stamped on them.
All button cells made after 1972 have a stamp. (If they are legal that is)
A quick google tells you the materials. Ag90 vs a90 vs r9 etc
Most will match what you look up.
Batteries are like computer pins on that there are many different content mixes.
Silver shell on mercury batteries, silver oxide in steel shells, aluminium canisters with alkaline formulas.
My as/aaa cells I sell to my steel buyer as aluminium shred.
I sort by alc old (may have mercury) alc modern nicad and lithium.

Same thing with cells, but by number. .watchbatterybuyers buys most silver based batteries. Like Chris they're easy to get a hold of, friendly, and care.
And I've recommended them here before.

Those plastic polymer canisters and Dallas boxes I recycle at Home Depot.
There are buyers out there but I just want them gone. Again batteries scare me. And I'm not keeping them around long enough to have enough for another buyer.

Fuses are a different issue. As above short of an xrf gun sorting exactly is difficult.
If you've ever dealt with silver plate finding the tube fuses with silver caps is quite easy. Just look for the silver tarnish
Anything I'm sure goes in my silver fuse bin. Anything that may be silver I do a rub test. A small black marble square, rub the end hard to leave a line and a bit of acid tells me silver or not.
Silver cap fuses are running as of yesterday at $12-$15 per lb. nice increase lately.
Nickel cap fuses are a few dollars per lb so anything other than pure junk is going to pay off. Gold cap canister fuses are $30-$50 per lb.

Slip/slot fuses, the ones on the left that you find in cars, etc, are always at least nickel plated so I just put them in my nickel breakage.
Anything that may be silver I do a rub test. If positive test, I'll cut the fuse tooth itself. Red or orange inside is silver plate bin (cu#1 rate) anything solid is silver fuse bin.

All gold cap fuses of any style can go to Chris, and get scanned out like gold pins. For a post scan quote.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Admin

99% of 3volt batteries are not silver oxide

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next