Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

Post subject: magnetic media
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hello all,
New to forum, was wondering if there was any value in floppy discs, magnetic tape (like old reel tape), data backup cartridges, Bernoulli discs, and such. And if so how do they need to be prepared, what value if any.

Thanks, the new site looks great and I look forward to bringing you much scrap.

Post subject: Re: magnetic media
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Hello Clarke welcome to boardsort.com!

Unfortunately I am not aware of any values being found in magnetic media. We don't buy them and have not been able to locate anyone willing to.

It looks like they are about as valuable as plastic scrap, which is next to nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:04 am 

As a related topic to this; here is a lead, thought and an idea. Plastic is a related process of crude oil, so it will be more valuable in the future. It has the potential in the future to be very profitable. Since not too many people know this and the price per pound is lower than metals; it would be a good early scrapper niche.

Currently in Michigan: http://www.padnos.com/we-buy-scrap-plastic

You will have to ask for current prices, but it was 10 cents a pound for ABS plastic in a quote to me a year ago (2013). This is not a lot, but that's why people toss it in the trash (your gain).

Logistically, shipping it is out of the question; however buying or building a grinder like the one I used in a plastic injection molding shop (another customer) to fine shred it into gaylords or smaller boxes would be a nice chunk of cash. Depending on your location, though.

However, by purchasing or renting an old U-haul truck to run it in yourself could be a new scrap income or business. Furthermore, as I hinted at: plastic injection molding shops may buy your recycled plastic ("virgin" plastic is very expense $2,000+ a gaylord). Some shops do recycle for themselves for this reason; however it is usually their own rejected parts they grind to reuse the plastic.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 pm 

If you are dealing in tonnage of ABS plastic, the last quote I got was 28cents baled. There is a broker at Plastic Traders that handles this. They will send in a container and after you load it, it is picked up and shipped off.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

2015 update.
As i mentioned in another post. As at your larger local yards about plastics.
Magnetic Media has a dual recovery value.
The plastic and the ferromagnetic coating.
Most plastic runs between a few pennies to 25c /lb.
metallised plastic such as the backs of cell phones and antistatic bags usually run about 10% Of the base metal #1 rate.
5c for aluminium or 10c for copper.
Pm plastics have their own category.

May update. Edited
We're in the Chicago Indiana area. Here is what i got this week. X per pound
Media (floppies and vhs tapes) 1c
aluminium plastic 8c
copper plastic 31c
gold plastic (cellphone backs) $18.50
silver plastic (flat wires) $1.20
Credit /gift/magstrip cards 7c

All except phone shells are pre-shredded price. meaning I sold them shredded materials. You may see more or less for non-shredded media.

And i still put Most of my ferromagnetic stuff in gaylord boxes and give it to bestbuy. it's just easier

this is all across 3 metal recyclers and two plastics companies I only take what a particular yard takes if I'm already going there
You wouldn't spend 50c a pound to ship 16c lowgrade to Boardsort either ;)

Last edited by lostinlodos on Fri May 22, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Just a bump for Mario to put this at the top.

Thankyou always boardsort.