Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am

Post subject: Mac's
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 pm 

I've scraped a ton of dell computers, but never any mac's. Are mac's basically going to be the same as dell? I'm guessing the basics.... metal or small scocoet mb, ram, gold finger card or two and a processor?

Post subject: Re: Mac's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Generally speaking that's all correct

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 pm 

Thanks Lost....I've bought 3 lots of computers and servers thru an online auction, so I'm not 100% sure they are mac's. I can't make out the emblem on the front of the towers, so they could very well be dell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:27 am 

Ok now I have gotten my hands on them, they aren't Mac's. They are Workhorse, they look identical to a Dell except for the name. The best I have come up with is they are built "custome" built in McKinney, TX.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Workhorse is a secondary designer that fabricates equipment for multiple companies; the largest customers being Dell and hp. Some such as Dell will badge them (poweredge workhorse). HP workhorse Q500 etc. Some Apple servers in the early osX era also were built out by workhorse and iBM uses them for , like hp, drive enclosures. TigerDirectB2B used them for their in house servers and before iBuyPower switched to exclusively 3rd party cases they used workhorse for rebadged computers.

Nothing overly special about them other than things are not quite standard, a bit thinner or fatter or slightly wider (or shorter). Etc.
The internals are at wort off the line (a short run) if not off the shelf.
Watch for 'fake' screws that are actually rivets or soldered in.
If something doesn't move the way you expect stop and figure out why, don't force it to do what it /should/ do.
Many of these units wind up in I&M or military fields so also make sure there's no epoxy sealer on the boards when you do your quote; it downgrades them a step. And it's very bad to try to get that stuff off on your own. Don't try you WILL get sick!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Also don't just dump that chassis. If you've got a large yard around call a few and see if they have an XrF gun and would scan it for you. There's lots of bizarre alloys used for different applications. Carbon (looks like a powered plastic) and nickel (sticks to a magnet and weighs more than it should for size) being the most common. Always worth checking on a custom cases as carbon can fetch 15-20 cents and nickel is over $4, per lb.
A 20 pound carbon case will get you $3-$4 where a steel one will you 20-30 cents!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:40 pm 

Wow I would have chunked all the metal housings straight in the tin pile and never thought twice about it. I have noticed some of the housings are odd sizes. some look a lot like dell optiex, some have mostly plastic cases.

With the epoxy.....what am I looking for? Something like a heavy clear coat?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Exactly, like a clear coat that feels almost like plastic or like someone dumped a gallon of education glue on it, not quite clear.
If it has is you'll know. It's a thick transparent or semitransparent layer on both sides of the boards. Much like what's found on the boards in car computers, washing machines and dish washers. It keeps dust and water from damaging the boards among other chemicals.