Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:52 am 

Hi, first post here. Thanks for hosting an awesome forum while providing a place to sell scrap. I have a question I couldn't answer with search function. Since board sort doesn't offer a price for tantalum and monolithic caps would it downgrade my boards if I removed them. I'm assuming boardsort doesn't have a buyer for these. I, however, do have one. But I need final word from board sort cause they might have a buyer and just does not wish to buy microscopic sized things based on pictures and somebody's good word. So does it make financial sense to depop all caps or just the tant caps or just the MCC?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:35 am 

Or should I leave them on the boards all together. I will explain that I am merely a hobbyist at this time who gets few scrap boards here and there. I have already totally depopulated 4 computers worth of boards but have 8 to 10 more and wondering if I should save time and not depop the rest. I am not worried about a quick turnover so collecting and saving components is no big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:36 pm 

Lots of views but no replies. Even a more knowledgeable member may be able to chime in. The way I see it if board sort doesn't offer a price on said components then they don't price their boards with those things in mind. I know they want the ic chips and serial ports. Anything with gold plating. But they don't seem overly interested in pmg bearing components.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:49 pm 

I am not sure about the monolithic ones, but in the past it was mentioned that boardsort does process the Tantalum ones, they just don't buy them seperate due to many thinking all brown capacitors are tantalum.

If boards are depopulated in most ways, they won't get their normal pricing.

Myself, I have been depopulating mainboards as I find it too expensive to ship the small socket ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:40 pm 

So basically I'll lose money if I depopulate the tant caps. I live only a few hour drive from east lake so I won't ship them. I am still interested to hear from board sort on this one. It is almost too tempting to not remove the caps cause they pay so well on their own. I am very conflicted on this issue. Even if they wouldn't mind me pulling the monolithic I would be happy with that. They pay better than tant caps and are so much more numerous and easy to id.
Scob, do you find it to be more profitable to depopulate all together or just the small socket mb? I wouldn't think it would pay to depopulate fingercards and memory(unless they are tin). I figure depop mid grade and lower and small socket mb.(maybe considering my location).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:36 pm 

Bump for no definite answer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am 

Im kind of in the same situation. There are some places that will buy them in small quantities for like $20 lbs and up but realistically unless you run across this stuff in somewhat moderate amounts then it would really just be an academic exercise. A more pragmatic approach might be to just save what you can in hope that the prices will spike in a few years or more. Then there's the problem of actually removing them. From my standpoint its either pull them off one by one which is time consuming and tedious or use the brute force hammer and chisel method which takes off just about everything around it and if you're like me you're going smash at least 2 or 3 knuckles in the process or even worse. And lastly there's the daunting task of actually identifying tantalum capacitors. They come in so many varieties it takes a while to know what is what. You might be collecting non-tantalums. So what I've learned is just look past most tantalum's unless they are somewhat densly populated or moderately sized

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:07 am 

Tantalum capacitors are a subtype of electrolytic capacitors. Technological advances allow Machining tantalum Capacitors into a wide variety of circuits, often found in laptops, automotive industry, cell phones and others.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Pure tantalum is trading at apx $17@80% (recycling rate) so expect 15-20 spread for clean.
Capacitors, are running $10-$12 right now per pound.
This is an ancient thread, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:29 pm 

90% sure that is a spam account