Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm 

Reading old posts, it seems that Boardsort does not take Northbridge/Southbridge chips or any fiber backed IC's.

Does anyone know an outlet to sell them? I have a good size bag of them but don't know what to do with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 pm 

Yes they do, they just don't have them listed.

I think the treat them as green fiber chips, but I am not certain. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Specifically bridge and controller chips go as green fibre,
Most other soldered IC chips will go as IC or pinless.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm 

Oh, thanks for the info. I appreciate the help!!

As I'm getting a shipment ready I'll weigh them snap a pic and email Boardsort before I send it off.

Now I feel good about saving them. Until now I thoight it was a useless extra item to add to my collection with only the hope of one days finding an outlet to take them. Or it was going to be an item that eventually goes out in the eWaste.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:02 am 

how much weight are you sending in?

Let us know what you end up getting for them!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 am 

I have a 10lbs bag and another 8-10lbs still on motherboards waiting to be depopulated. Not sure if I'm gonna hold out to send in all at once or send a 5lbs sample to test for return $. I've never actually sent anything to boardsort so I was planning a test run of IC's, full ram sticks and gold fingers and pins.

Company I work for let's me depopulate boards as much as I want. but they want the boards to send out as waste for a certificate of destruction and show that the eWaste is being disposed of properly. EWate comes in small bits at a time, but copper wire is a banker box per week.

I use heat to pull the bridge controllers off the motherboards. I wait until the weather is nice so I can do it outside. Plus I use a plywood box with a cutout for a box fan on the back to direct the fumes away and still use a full face cartridge respirator. Overly cautious!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:34 am 

very good idea on the safety measures... Fumes from smoking/burning boards can turn lethal very quickly.

I use a small thin awl...I just put the point under the edge of the green fiber part and a good whack splits it from the board. Sometimes they break though... Make sure you save the pieces of the black top though, that is where the value is.