Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 pm 

Hello! I have a bunch of old ceramic processors I am going to be sorting through, and a number of them have significant amounts of missing pins because of corrosion/damage. Do I need to keep the damaged ones separate from the good ones for that class (most of these are 386/486)? If so, do they pay out at a different rate with Boardsort?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm 

Post the pics of cpus in question here ...

gentric answer ......
ideally there would be a price decrease on cpus that are to far damaged but there is or was some leeway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:51 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure where the "damage" cutoff is but generally missing mor than a quarter of the pins sends it all the way down to the lowest matching level in this case ibm/via gold cap. Less than that and you're at pentium. No pins left you'd probably be in the pinless category if it still had the gold cap; missing a gold cap and pins ceramic CPUs go peripheral rate but should be separated within the class as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:14 am 

Thanks for the info! I've attached some photos below of the missing pins, and also some other questions I have:

Attachment:
File comment: Most of the damaged ones are only missing a handful of pins, like this
missing1.jpg
missing1.jpg [ 758.6 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Only a few are really bad, like these.
missing2.jpg
missing2.jpg [ 564.87 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

1. I have a couple of small Intel chips that are smaller than a 386. Where do these go?
Attachment:
File comment: Where do these little guys get classified? they are smaller than a regular 386 chip. Here is the front side.
intel-1.jpg
intel-1.jpg [ 667.73 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: And here is the back side
intel-2.jpg
intel-2.jpg [ 516.33 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

2. Also have a few that are 486 sized but say DX4. Some are AMD, some are Intel. Do these go in with 386/486?
Attachment:
File comment: I also have a few of these which look like 486 chips, but they also say DX4 on them. Some are AMD, some are Intel. Do they have a different classification?
dx4-1.jpg
dx4-1.jpg [ 540.09 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Here's the other side of the DX4 chip
dx4-2.jpg
dx4-2.jpg [ 590.26 KiB | Viewed 6767 times ]

3. Any advice for removing stuck-on heatsinks from the back of the processors?

4. Is there an easy method for removing the case/heatsink from slot processors? I'm assuming I need to do that before I can send those in.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 am 
Site Admin

The handful ones like pictured will still clear the actual grade

The really bad ones in the second pic
Left is pentium/mac ceramic , right ibm/via gold cap

Pic 3 are X86-387 math co-processors. 386 class

Yes those are also 486 class

Chris recommended boiling (if you go this route I'd suggest adding a ( numeric) tablespoon of Nepali (pink) salt for each 4 cups you use and use atleast 2 cups per CPU))

Personally if it's free from the board I use a touch with MAAP gas. Directly in the centre of it. If you can buy MAAP in your state without a licence and have a blowtorch header this is by far the fastest method. Hold it about 6 inches from the centre of the heat sink or you may melt the aluminium sink. About 30 seconds should be enough at the most.
Btw: caution the flame from a blowtorch is hot. Do not touch the flame. Do not use the touch while sleeping, making out, or driving. Etc etc. Lol

Hit my user profile and/or search by author. I've made some posts about slot procs in the past.
Basics: removing heat sinks; unscrew-- cut off rivets etc.
Pop all pieces with a screwdriver.
Yes slot processors need to be liberated from their cases before sending them in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 am 
Site Admin

Historically, and this one isn't it, but AMD had a short-lived 486 pin compatible 140 MHz chip; marketed as 125mhz.
which is the fastest 486 series cpu made.
Where I fell in love with AMD
AMD was always #2 and probably always will be but 90% of their production is clean room discovered compatible. The 125 at fully open 140 made early pentium chips look slow. The 586/K5 and K6 series nearly put intel out of business. The ATH 5100+ ran circles around everything from everyone when released. The Fx series pushed intel so hard they tried to license the tech.
The 9590, my current CPUs, still outperform the best i7 on everything except computer games. In h265 incodes it takes a second page on magazines to show how far beyond the intel CPUs it is.
And the most recent Rx series (semi-officially released at the moment) are so far advanced AMD posted record gains in the stock market when the first 3 benchmarks were released coinciding with a 22% drop on intel b and c stock.
What's my point on all this late-night rambling?
Post that DX cpu on ebay as DOA and take the $5-$15 for it from a collector. It won't sell tomorrow but it will sell. For much more than scrap dead.
That was a key stone chip for any AMD collector! (I have two).