Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm 

If by some chance I got some scrap computers from from schools, businesses, local governments, etc. and they want certificates to prove their individual hard drives were securely disposed of would boardsort issue cod?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm 

Because many places want to know their information is disposed of without being breached. I have a local metal refinery that will issue cod for each hard drive. But they pay lower than boardsort and charge a fee for the certificates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 pm 
Reputable Seller

My suggestion would be to offer the destruction service yourself if you are able to comply with their requirements for destroying drives. I would perform a three-pass DOD wipe on the drives, then once the drives are wiped, disassemble them. Many places that destroy drives often put drives in a hydraulic press that exerts a ton (literally) of pressure on the drive, shattering the platters in the process. If you can't comply with the requirements being proposed, then I would ask boardsort directly via a private message or phone call to see if he can provide the service and how much he would charge to issue the certificate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:11 pm 

I would drill a couple of 3/8" holes clear through platter(s) and casing. They also make great flying targets. Their rectangular shape causes some serious wobble.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 pm 

flints74 wrote:
I would drill a couple of 3/8" holes clear through platter(s) and casing. They also make great flying targets. Their rectangular shape causes some serious wobble.

Ditto, if they are newer computers, they will most likely have a tool-less case and tool-less hard drive removal and you can destroy the HDD's right in front of them, but since they want a CoD, that probably won't work for them, but it is an idea you can bring up to them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 am 

I haven't ran into this issue yet but just wanted to know.