Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:00 am 

What is the scrap value? I have a guy who is a collector/seller, and I know some of these cartridges are worth a few dollars........Some even more than that...In fact, I am making some second hand purchases which I hope to flip to him for a profit......I assume the scrap value is less than the re-sell value. Am I correct?

P.S.

lostinlodos, if you come across some more, let me know, may be we can discuss business via e-mail.

PRD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:14 am 
Site Admin

As it stands it’s difficult to say much of anything on this.
My random, rounded thoughts being something aprox.
95% of cartridges are worth more as a game collectible than scrap.
The 5% of crap games makes up 95% of available volume out there.

If it wasn’t obvious from my many posts I collect older technology and videogames.
Every “bulk” batch I ever bought of ... had duplicates of...
Atari 2600: pong
Atari 7200: centipede
Famicon:wrecking crew
Famicon:Zelda
NES: super mario /duck hunt
Master system/sgX000: Alex kid
Genesis/mega drive: sonic the hedgehog (not for resale)
SNES: Super Mario World
32x: virtua fighter
N64: Super Mario 64
Game Boy: Tetris
Game Boy: super mario world
Game gear: sonic the hedgehog
Game gear: chopper
Etc

These are worth more as scrap in that you won’t be able to sell them. When I sell genesis and mega drive games I add a free sonic the hedgehog with every order of 3 or more!!! :D

Nonsense aside, yes dead or alive (pun:lol) cartridge games are worth more to a collector than as scrap. It’s only in desperation for space I snap cartridges open and send them to boardsort, though my actual collection makes the most egregious Instagram and Facebook posts look sadly lacking.
As for your ps, I’ve never had an offer to sell to me I wouldn’t at least consider, and there are very few things I wouldn’t be willing to sell at the right realistic price.
That said don’t ask for my Atari Pam or my Sega Venus or Pluto.
They’re not for sale. Ever. Period. {:)

(I point these three out because I’ve been asked about them by users before. Simply put [once and for all] they are the pride of my collection along with my wooden Apple, and are already willed to my friends daughter, the most talented grey hat I’ve ever known and at just 10 years! That and my potential price is at 8 digits each. I gave my soul away to get them!)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:28 am 
Site Admin

Consoles.
9 times out of 10 the following will hold true.
Working it’s worth more as a console

Not working and you can fix it it’s worth more as a console

Not working and someone else can fix it it’s worth more as a console

Not working and it was run over before being left in a fire and then survived a flood (sorta) it’s probably time to scrap it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:01 am 

Here is my input as someone who ran a gaming charity (that gained revenue through buying out collections, and streaming events/tournies)- any video game is worth more in the collectors world, than in scrapping.

Yes, even BaseBall for Gameboy, or Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis. Now, I wouldn't recommend putting either up on eBay as a single item, but rather hold off until you have a few games a do a "lot" style listing as an auction. If however the items never end up selling, there are a thousand local resellers in EVERY state/town/county- the profit margin is huge if deals can be struck for what most people consider trash/obsolete (same with scrapping metal, or computer parts).

If all else fails a donation to a gaming charity is also in the realm of a reality, so they can do the footwork and donate their profits to helping those in need. With a finite amount of game cartridges/discs created, it only makes sense that over time the value (so long as the demand remains high) will continue to rise due to failing hardware, trashed items, and scrapping of gaming items.

P.S. I would never "scrap" a gaming console, list it on eBay as parts/not working if you must, but you should always profit. If not your style, even GameStop would offer on MOST items. If not I will point back to a gaming charity.