Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

Post subject: Old heavy laptops
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:58 pm 

Bought 5 Dell Inspiron 6400 and 5 HP Compaq 6710b laptops at auction, with auctioneer note that hard drives have been removed. These weigh about 8 pounds each. Good screens and look in better shape than my one year old HP Stream (which I do not recommend for anything except target practice)
I can basically get my money back by selling them to Boardsort on my next in-person delivery, selling them as partial laptops with good screen.
Is there any reason I should dismantle them...they were using Windows XP and Windows Vista. Since no shipping is involved, I don't see any advantage to removing the boards.

Post subject: Re: Old heavy laptops
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:50 pm 

You touched on the best part about these: they are 8 pounds each.
Longtime Boardsort user hack: if you're like me, you have a pile of random laptop hard drives laying around. Just add one in each laptop. If it doesn't fit, duct tape it in. You will make almost $3 more per unit for the cost of a relatively worthless, from a scrap perspective, laptop hard drive.
There's no stipulation that they have to work, they just have to be present.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:53 pm 

Can I for example put a SATA hard drive into a laptop with a IDE hard drive slot, and tape it in if it doesn't fit?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

No, the point is to have a complete.
If I caught it early I would have already said it is frowned upon to duct tape in a drive. You’ll probably get away with it, but it’s not right.
You definitely should Not put the wrong type of drive in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:42 am 

I will add an addendum to my earlier post. We get a lot of laptops that are missing caddies and/or the hard drive bay door.
In this scenario, assuming the laptop accepts a SATA drive and there is a SATA drive in there, but it's missing a caddy/door, it is still considered "complete" by definition, until Chris changes it.
To prevent the drive from falling out, I have in the past, used tape to affix the drive in transit.
I no longer send laptops to Boardsort, and havn't for years, as I have a better outlet for them. That said, when I was, I had never been reprimanded by the Boardsort team for doing this.
That said, yeah if there is the completely wrong form factor of drive in there, then probably not.
But this is something Chris should review, Lost, if you want to bounce it to him. If there is a hope of refurbishment by Boardsort and the money paid reflects that possibility, then there really should be a stipulation. Currently, there is not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:56 am 
Site Admin

I completely agree.
There’s quite the different between securing a laptop drive inside and gaming a 2.5 inch drive into a 3.5 inch bay, with some tape, which is what I was referring to.

The wrong kind is definitely going to develop an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:45 pm 

I figured. It was worth a clarification on my part, as my first post sounded like I just said F-it and yeet whatever drive in there (as the kids are saying these days).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:59 pm 

It inspired me to ask that as a few years ago I got an old Dell Latitude for free. It would be stuck on BIOS. I took the hard drive out to find that someone tried to install a SATA drive in the laptop which takes an IDE drive. But that wasn't the only issue.

At least I got a free 1TB hard drive that works. But if I had sent that to Boardsort as a complete laptop not knowing someone put the wrong hard drive in it, would it be downgraded?