Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

Post subject: Laptops
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 am 

Had a few laptops mixed in with a small lot of computers I picked up yesterday. They are prob 5-10 years old and no power cables to go with them (arg). Should I eBay as is? Scrap? Buy the cheapest power cord I can find and hope I can confirm working and sell for more? How would you advise? Cosmetically they are in good shape and all but one intact.

Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am 

Just look this stuff up on ebay and see what prices people are getting... then make a judgment if you think it is worth your while to try to fix them up and sell them, or just scrap them.

RAM and PCI cards are easy to check and figure out. Unless you can wipe and reformat hard drives don't sell them... you could be compromising someone else data/information. Other components don't really have much resale value.

As far selling full systems... to be honest, if you are not a tech type person, you are probably better off sticking to scraping. the learning curve for refurbishing equipment and systems can be rather steep.

Post subject: Re: Laptops
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Rather steep”...
Especially on older stuff. Anything that predates the core/AMD 7 era requires a lot of manual configuration. Especially on laptops.

That said that’s also about the era where working equipment takes a slow but noticeable trend upwards in value as it goes older in age.