Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Post subject: Some general questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:08 pm 

Happy New Years Everyone!

I believe I have read on here that if you remove a gold cap chip from a board the board will still be considered to be gold capped chip?

If true, does that logic apply to these mobo's that have mechanically attached metal sockets that are easily removed? When I remove the metal socket, I have a large socket mobo.

What does CBM stand for and how many levels / grades are there?

Can you please tell me the general scrap classification for the items in the attached pic?

My gut is telling me that it is not worth the effort to crush the coils or transformers to remove the copper so I need to understand the values as is.

I have a lot of fans that I need to deal with, any thoughts and insights greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
J

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 3624 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:52 pm 

No and no.

Copper breakage material, and it will depend on the yard. They all treat them differently.

It depends how much time you want to waste. Some are worthwhile and have bright bare copper... but it friends what your yard gives. You will have to do some calculations on time verse weight verse money gained... but it probably won't be worthwhile.

Fans are often treated a copper breakage, once again, you will have to check with the yards around you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

Cbm is a generic recycling term with two standard meanings
Copper breakage material
Copper baring material
(Occasionally m can signal motor but that has fallen out of use generally within the industry).

What constitutes cbm as mls said, varies by yard. Very large and small specialty companies may have 4 or more levels (eg #1, 2, 3, brk).
Others toss anything with copper at less than 50% weight into a single cbm class.

Motors are generally classed out by type and design at any yard that handles more than a ton per week. Sealed vs loose. Steel from aluminium and brass etc.
These yards will pay different rates for, say, a drill motor vs a fan vs a cd/dvd motor.
Further breaking down motors a cd/dvd tray motor would be a sealed motor but the spindle motor which is a loose motor. The engine from an electric car would be an aluminium motor.

Also while sealed (in plastic or steel) transformers may go as a low grade cbm or as a transformer, an open transformer would usually go as a loose steel motor.
If you follow my train of thought here.
Anyway: your post based on two of the yards I use.
A) loose motor
B) cbm#1
C) cbm#2
D) cbm#1
E) cbm#3

Also my primary steel yard has one single rate for any and all fans. Be it a cpu fan, a power supply fan, or a giant box fan or ceiling fan. Regardless of if they’re in a nice copper mould or a heavy steel one.
so ask yours how they handle them.
Only time I do anything to fans beyond sniping the wires is when they’re in a copper heatsink.
Only time I break those coils like you posted is when they’re from a commercial appliance like a dryer, where I’m getting lbs of #2 or #3 copper.
(You’ll rarely find #1 in computers.