Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 am 

I have come across several glass LED displays with what looks like a fair amount of gold inside. But how do I remove it? If I pulverise the glass, I would think it would become a problem when the glass and every other component mixes with the gold, and makes it extra difficult to extract?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

You probably want to try the gold refiners forum.
That’s beyond what most of us here do.
It IS doable (hence so many we buy broken lcd companies on the net) but it’s beyond any easy acid melt.
You generally have the right track. Recovery of gold fromlcd glass is much like mirrors with an internal layer of gold/silver/etc. Like laser mirrors.
You Granulate the glass. Melt the whole mix and then use various chemicals to separate all the elements, silicon, sodium, gold, carbon, etc.
As far as I’m aware that’s the only method used to any degree in metals recovery from glass. It is infact how they remove copper, tin, aluminium, etc from glass drink bottles (colours) that are recycled as well.

Though generally it’s simply remelted into “feed tubes” as a specific tYpe of glass rather than recovered. Gold glass makes gold glass. Copper glass makes copper glass.

Unless you have many tons of it you’re looking at a loss via energy and and materials, vurses what you’ll recover in just the gold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:04 am 

Ok. Thank you. I guess I'll leave it alone then.

Other than the gold stuck behind glass, I have the rest in an unorganized jar. I have 215g of stuff in the jar, but I have no idea what percentage is gold. There's fingers, pins, a few pieces of gold audio jack, many small fragments of gold from who knows what, and even one earing I found. And I have a dozen or so PCBs with gold.

I don't know what the machine is called, and I couldn't afford it, but I just thought of another method that would work to separate gold dust from other solids that have been pulverized. It uses water and vibration to sort the gold and other solids. I saw it done a few times on YouTube, and I wonder what the drawback is that more people don't use it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:41 am 

That machine won't work, the gold you are talking About is to small and attached to a substrate. (Shaker table)

The only way to go after that kind is gold is by chemical means. You are taking about mostly about ENIG plating which is a few pennies per square inch. Even the pyrometallurgical methods start failing on those small concentrations from what those guys tell me. And the literature seems to back them up.

You should pull out the gold fingers, as those are your best source. The jacks and connectors go as connector ends. The pins probably won't be worth much but save them separate and see what they might give you when you get a pound or more.