Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Post subject: Melting copper wire
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:00 pm 

Any tips/ideas on the best way to melt the copper coils and yokes from CRT type monitors, I thought of using a MAPP gas torch in a cast iron sauce pot. The plan is to have the copper in ingot form for more compact storage until the prices go up.

Post subject: Re: Melting copper wire
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 pm 
Reputable Seller

You may want to look up the gold refining forum (via a google search) and see what (if anything) is being said about melting copper.

Me personally, I would sell your wire once your bin gets full.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:04 am 

Found the forum, but it's one of those crappy ones that you have to register to see any posts, I never join those.

I want to melt mine because my local scrapyard pays a better price for ingots and I have loads of MAPP gas. If MAPP gas and a torch would work all I would need to buy is the torch head.

Also want to melt it just because I want to, I enjoy melting down Lead wheel weights, just need higher temp for copper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:15 pm 

I have melted small amounts of copper with map gas not sure if it can do ignots. I never got a soup with the torch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:52 pm 

you might try looking up melting copper on youtube I found videos on how to do other metals on there and am going to work with them when it warms up since -10 outside temp wouldn't work out so well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:22 pm 

mannix wrote:
I have melted small amounts of copper with map gas not sure if it can do ignots. I never got a soup with the torch.

Do you think if I used a OXY MAPP head it would work better?

I'm pretty set on using MAPP because I have 48 of the tall disposable tanks, got all then for $20 at an auction because they where said to be empty, I bought them to make small fuel tanks out of, but once I started loading them in the truck they where handled a bit more carefully.

I'm thinking I could use a propane refiller adapter for the tiny propane bottles and fill and empty propane tank with MAPP, then i could hook the tank up directly with my OXY Acetaline torch. Have an oxy tank that is full, but not the other.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Just a quick point. I do not have much to add to the copper melting conversation (you guys are going fine on your own), but I would like to make mention that "The Gold Refining Forum", or GRF as it is known to regulars is a treasure trove of knowledge!

That is one site where it is worth the effort to register. They are extremely professional and knowledgeable of all things gold/silver.

Unlike other popular scrap forums, these guys have welcomed boardsort.com with open arms and have provided me with a great education over the years.

Definitely worth registering.

Website address:
The Gold Refining Forum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:20 pm 

The concern I would have with refining any scrap metals is reaching or surpassing the breaking point at which your gasses and other associated stuffs start cutting into the profits.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:07 am 

kandksalvage wrote:
The concern I would have with refining any scrap metals is reaching or surpassing the breaking point at which your gasses and other associated stuffs start cutting into the profits.

A valid point, but as I said above, I got 48 of the tall disposable bottles for only $20, I want to make small fuel tanks out of them so looking at ways to get them empty.

I did find out that I have an old oxy-propane torch sitting around, it is rated for MAPP as well, so I will buy a bottle of oxygen soon and try it out on the copper.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:03 pm 

@ scob89... if you could run across some fire bricks on the cheap or fee, you can make a little enclosure/oven/kiln to keep a lot of heat from going to waste.

As has already been mentioned, that gold refining forum is the place to get just about any information you could think of on such matters.