Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:31 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 pm 

So I have finally gotten a bunch of gear with gold capped chips and as I am pulling the socketed units a question comes to mind. Is it better to leave them in because it boosts the value of the board by $1.10 a pound? I have no interest in refining anything except my my knowledge of rum. I do not work with any refiners or get the sense that I will come in to a lot more like this. What are the pro thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Few things to cover here
Socketed gold cap. 99% will fall between 8086 and Motorola/foreign gold cap (generic) classes. The 1% absolute worst ones, gold spreader cap plastic ic with tin or nickel legs, will go as green/brown fibre without metal. And sun spark gold cap between pins ceramics with the heavy aluminium spreader go as AMD metal top ceramics.
So you should always pull socketed gold cap ICs to sell separately.

Socketed ICs without gold caps.
Older boards with ceramic socketed ICs; the ICs with gold pins will go as Pentium/Mac ceramic. With silver, nickel, or tin pins, pinless class.
Socketed plastic ICs with gold pins get black fibre rate if not black, green or brown (purple and red are common), or green/brown fibre If green black or brown.
Any plastic ic with non-gold pins is ic rate.
So removing ICs that aren’t caped depends on the legs/pins. If it gold you should remove the chips. If they’re not you’re better leaving them IN a telco or gold finger card board, and removing them from any board of lower value than ic rate.